Question on Nightforce SHV

The_Whitetail_kid

For those of you who have used the nightforce shv, are the clicks as crisp as the higher end nightforce's such at the NX8? I got one, a demo SHV and compared to the NX8, extremely sloppy. Even compared to my Zeiss v4 it was sloppy. Didn't seem like the Nightforce quality I expected. Is this how they all are, and why are they so talked up?

What you're seeing is normal, SHV is their budget line and isn't as refined as the rest of their products. It's still a good scope and will serve you well as long as your expectations fall in line with reality.

I like mine but don't dial it, it's pretty spongy compared to the higher lines. Honestly the big price jump for most of these scopes is much more in the tactile components, as opposed to glass clarity.

I have 2 shv and a atacr . The shv are nightforce lower end scopes . They are about 1/3 the cost of the atacr. The quality is better than just about anything in there price point. They are definitely not on the same level of any of there higher $ scopes . As the $$ go up so does the fit and finish and quality not to mention the clarity. I'd definitely take a shv over anything vortex. Bought 4 and sent 2 back outa the box then one more and the last is on a 338 I have yet to shoot. Vortex is great for the warranty and you will need it . I can't speak for there higher end scopes but in the same price range I'd buy the nightforce all day . They have yet to have a single issue.

I have a few of the 5-20x56 NF SHV scopes. I don't feel like the dialing is 'soft or mushy' at all on my scopes, but I have never used an ATACR. My impression is that the dialing is pretty crisp. In actual use, the dialing has been 'spot on' out to 775 yards, which is my ranges max distance.

I have one SHV along with a couple of Sightron illuminated reticle 8 x 32 x56 S3 s. I like the eyebox and reticle of the SHV better. The SHV tracks well for me. So do my Sightrons. I feel like it's a good scope for the money.