Question on 175smk seating depth in r700

Sovereign08

So this is my first post here, just fed up with the new snipershide system and a local guy told me to try this site out. Anyway, my question is regarding the long throat that most Remington's come with factory. My lands sit way out at 2.386, netting me an OAL of 2.964. With my 168 load, the bullet sat so far out it had almost no solid contact with the neck, concerning me with it staying properly centered. The 175 SMK has a fair bit more contact, but it's still a thought I've had in my mind. I'm loading these for ladder testing 20thou off, so my oal will be sitting right around 2.944. Has anyone done their loads in a .308 remington 700 with the 175smk with similar numbers and had good luck with it? Thanks in advance.

First off welcome LRH. Hope you enjoy.
I've used the SMK, Hornady Amax, and the Berger Classic Hunter seated to magazine length and had excellent results in a factory .308 Rem 700. You may want to give it a try and see how that works.

In a mag gun go right to mag max coal and work from there.

IMO stay with the 175 SMK and do not waste your time and money on the 168 SMK. It will get to 1000 without keyholing. It was developed as a 300 meter round.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.