Question of switching the barrel, fixed scope accuracy

Longtooth32

I am new to the barrel nut crowd...

I have a new barrel coming and I have an existing action with a barrel nut. The scope is fixed on the receiver...

If I screw on a new barrel...will the right to left impact change? If the right to left changes...does that mean my new barrel is "off"?

Current barrel is a Benchmark barrel...

What are peoples experiences with switching barrels and the change of impact?

Just a curiosity question...

I always have to take my scopes off when I change barrels as the barrel nut wrench won't fit under the scope. I have heard of people cutting a slot in the wrench to pass the scope but haven't tried it. Also no two barrels shoot the same so whether it shoots left or right my not be because of the new barrel being left or right of the action face.

I always have to take my scopes off when I change barrels as the barrel nut wrench won't fit under the scope. I have heard of people cutting a slot in the wrench to pass the scope but haven't tried it. Also no two barrels shoot the same so whether it shoots left or right my not be because of the new barrel being left or right of the action face.

Dang!...

You are right that the scope has to come off...because of the barrel nut wrench...

Thank you for helping me with my ignorance...:)

Yea, and you will also have a action wrench that wraps around the front part of the action...

Lots of possibilities with this setup though. One guy on the forum drills a hole in the nut and barrel, after the barrel is installed on the action, and the uses a set screw to lock them together. Once he has a few barrels setup this way he can change them back and forth with head spacing them again.

Have you thought about a set of go/nogo gauges for head spacing the new barrel?

Yea, and you will also have a action wrench that wraps around the front part of the action...

Lots of possibilities with this setup though. One guy on the forum drills a hole in the nut and barrel, after the barrel is installed on the action, and the uses a set screw to lock them together. Once he has a few barrels setup this way he can change them back and forth with head spacing them again.

I have go no go gauges for this cartridge...

Not being that stupid...:)

Thanks...

Thanks again for your help...I have a Mausingfield long action with a .536" bolt head shooting a 270 Wby pushing the 170 Bergers at 3225 fps...28" Benchmark barrel...barrel nut...

Stocky Stock had a sale on the 28" Proof Research barrels in 6.5x284...

So I am trying to do (explore) the extreme barrel switch...and get in on the so called 6.5mm craze...the 6.5x 284 COALs to over 3.2+"...so I can use my long action...

Spent about $450 with Chad Dixon for a new .474" bolt head and extractor...they even walked me though how to change the bolt head...

LRI is a class outfit...

That all sounds really nice. Another member on the forum, goes by "FEENIX", has a Big Horn action he has started to work with. I can only dream about such things though. I'm stuck with plain ole Savage actions.

You ought to post a picture when you get it up and running. People will be interested for sure.

Well it really is easy to set up a switchbarrel savage for quick barrel changes.

First what the barrel nut does is create a sboulder on the barrel setting the headspace. If after setting the headspace you glue the barrel nut onto the barrel you have created the barrel sboulder with the correct headspace. This barrel can be removed and replaced without having to worry about headspace. I reccomend putting index lines on the barrel, barrel nut and action as an easy check to see if something has moved.

Easy way to remove or replace a barrel is put the barrel in a barrel vice and use a rear entry action wrench like the davidson. If you inlet your stock enough to clear the barrel nut while you unscrew the barrel it is possible to switch barrels without even taking the action out of the stock.

As for scope sight in. I would suspect they would be different. Simple answer is just record the settings for each barrel and you will be very close.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.