Question for Lefties

I learned to shoot with a RH Stevens single shot 22. The ground squirrels in our field feared it, and I got so I could shoot it fairly rapidly. Because of that experience, I don't mind using a RH centerfire rifle as long as the stock isn't set up for right handed folks only (rollover cheek piece, cast off, exaggerated palm swell on one side, etc).

In addition to a few other RH 22s, I purchased two fairly expensive (for factory) RH rifles that were not available in left hand versions - a Sako TRG42 and a Remington 700 KS. When shooting prone, the right hand bolt on the Sako is actually a plus. The experience shooting thousands of rounds of 22 with a RH bolt enabled me to not miss a beat the only time I had to shoot the 700 more than once in a hunting situation.

So, count me in as someone who is glad he learned on a right hand rifle.

I am right handed but left eye dominant and my vision is better in my left eye. I have always shot rifles and shotguns left handed and own mostly left hand rifles and shotguns.

However, being right handed, I have more strength in my right hand & arm so I shoot bow and handgun righty. How's that for being a bit messed up? Interestingly enough, it all works out pretty well. I've got no complaints.

I'm a south paw and have been shooting over 40 years. I have actually never fired a left-hand bolt gun. I thought about switching over years ago but was afraid of having to re-learn and what if I liked it!?
Who could afford that replacement cost?! Maybe I don't know what I'm missing......
The only firearm I've ever really had a problem with was an HK 91, the brass would cut my face on the way by. Aftermarket brass deflector and problem solved.

Holsters on the other hand..... that's a hassle

I am right handed but left eye dominant so I learned to shoot rifles left handed. I have never owned a left handed rifle. I can shoot with either hand though, not as comfortable/natural right handed but I've been in blinds before when it was a better shot right handed so I hunted that way.

I've been a firearms instructor for most of my career. I just adopted two boys; one is a leftie. So, for all of you lefties, IF you learned to shoot a right handed bolt rifle, do you wish you would have learned on a left bolt rifle from the beginning or are you glad you learned on a right handed rifle (before switching to a left bolt rifle)?
Probably as long as there were no babies involved.

I learned first on a Ruger #1 in 22-250 and right-handed Remington 700 rifles because I could not afford LH models. Over the years, I have acquired 5 LH bolt guns. I shoot LH and RH the same. Learning on a RH bolt gun was not a problem for me. I do however prefer a LH AR.

I've been a firearms instructor for most of my career. I just adopted two boys; one is a leftie. So, for all of you lefties, IF you learned to shoot a right handed bolt rifle, do you wish you would have learned on a left bolt rifle from the beginning or are you glad you learned on a right handed rifle (before switching to a left bolt rifle)?
A friend is right handed, when he started shooting he had trouble hitting anything. A random guy on the range determined that he was left eye dominant, when shooting the guy's left handed rifle he started hitting the target (the random guy was left hand & left eye dominant).

So, at least for my friend & the random guy, using the dominant eye was much more important than having the dominant finger on the trigger.

I suspect that most lefties out there are ambidextrous to varying degrees. It being a Righty world it is sort of forced on us.

I shoot LH and I do not own LH bolt. I've handled one or two and they're awkward! I have no intention of ever buying a LH bolt. Depending on the actual rifle I don't always have to come out of my hold to cycle the bolt. I've taught myself to cycle the bolt and support the rifle with either hand.

I started in golf swinging LH, soon hit a plateau that I couldn't move past and switched to RH. Immediately started progressing again.

I'd say let him and the results decide. See if you can borrow a LH bolt for him to try first. Let him shoot both and see what he likes best and what works best for him.

I'm 59 years old, and have been shooting since I was 10, left-handed since birth. I still don't own a left-handed rifle. I will use a semi-auto, pump, or lever from either shoulder, but usually, shoot them right-handed. A bolt, I always shoot right-handed. Of course, it helps that I'm cross-eye dominant. If the kids go into the military, they will not have access to left-handed rifles, (unless things change, at one time I wasn't able to use a pistol in a left-handed holster in the military. That changed) and if for some reason while hunting they have a rifle failure, being able to shoot right-handed will allow them to use a buddies gun if they don't have a backup.

I am right handed shooter, but always wish I would have spent more time learning to shoot with my left as well. If youth is left handed and left eye dominate then left hand instruction would be best. But, don't restrict to left hand only training or instruction. I wish I would have used both disciplines when I was young and learning to shoot. I would also encourage teaching to shoot with both eyes open. It gives the shooter much better target acquisition and picture. It is just normal to see things with both eyes open. Much easier to learn initially than try to change later.

Bought my first LH 700 in '76 and have now have 12 various calibers and makes….way better LH selection today than 45 years ago.
The one thing I always have practiced before season and still do today is how quick I can shoot, bolt and get back on target for a follow up if needed.
I would not want to be challenged by off side bolt.
There are a lot of good price friendly choices both youth and adult versions available.

I'm left eye dominant, but right handed. I learned to shoot all right-handed long guns left handed. There weren't many options by the way. But I sure wish I had learned and own left handed guns. One reason, BTW, I would like to go to Africa and hunt dangerous game. Trying to do that with a poor second shot capability would be unwise, and I'm sure the PH would not like it either. But for hunting here I've always had to keep the attitude that I shoot a single-shot. That in itself isn't bad but sure wish I was faster with follow ups.

There is a reason they make left handed rifles. I agree with sedancowboy if it doesn't matter let's make them all left handed.

You already have the answer to your question, as a right hander are you going to buy a left handed rifle for yourself? How many left handed rifles do you yourself own and why?