Question about primers for Remimgton 7400

LordScythe

Hey everyone I am reloading some rounds for my dads 7400 and I am using CCI 200 primers do yall think this will affect accuracy, the round, or the rifle

Ah. You thinking about it being an autoloader? No, that's not an issue.

In fact the military uses the same primers we and factory ammo use, they just crimp 'em in for possible use in full auto weapons.

I was under the impression the Military used primers with a thicker cup. Like the CCI #34 or 44. Beacuase weapons systems like the M4, M14, M1Garand have a floating firing pin that slams the primer when the round is locked into battery. The crimp is for belt fed weapons.

I dont think the 7400 has a floating firing pin it would make no sence in a hunting rifle.

"The crimp is for belt fed weapons."

Belt fed weapons are full auto.

"Impressions" may or may not be true, depending on what the purchaser wants. Military purchasers are notoriously fickle, what they want this year is often different from what they wanted last year.

All of this is beside the point for what the OP wanted and needed to know.

Vote your interests today.

Guns have two natural enemies; rust and Democrat polititians.

The military does use thicker cup primers and they are Mag primers to set off ball powder and for use in cold weather. The 7400 does not have a free floating firing pin so you are OK with the CCI 200. Don't try to load max loads for it. Stick with middle of the road loads.

My late Father Inlaw's 7400 would jam if I used brass that had been used before, the brass would be wider by just a few .000. or the neck would be just a bit longer,,this was before I
payed attention to what I was doing. I found the semiauto was real touchy on the recipe.
Please make sure the entire cartridge can fully cycle through the chamber without jamming with a live round. It did on this end. I was also warned by some of the guys I shoot with who use semi-autos to never load for semi-auto as you would do for a bolt the action. semi-autos cant handle the same load, just don't load them hot.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.