Question about ladder testing ???

Scratch

Hello
When you first start to do a ladder test, where do you start with seating depths? I realize you will fine tune your seating depth once you find the load your rifle shoots best. And do you recommend shooting through a chronograph in the beginning or wait until you find the load you like? lightbulb I may know the answer to the second question however, I like to hear other thoughts and opinions.

Thanks for the help in advance :)

Scratch

There's another post on how to find seating depth. A lot of good information on various ways to check your particular rifle (with special tools and without).

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f26/beginner-help-zeroing-seating-jump-143892/

Seating depth can make a huge difference in group size, so working up a load first and then adjusting seating depth means you'll probably have to start all over again. I would start with finding the appropriate seating depth for your rifle and then doing your ladder test.

I chrono at the end so I can calculate bullet drop. Honestly, once I have an accurate load, I am less concerned about muzzle velocity. There is a large window that is still carries enough energy to hunt ethically (and really blast steel and paper :D). Loading data is usually good enough that you can figure out if a load will be in the range of velocity you are looking for.

My recommendation is, and has always been, to work up a load seated about .020 off the lands; one that prints well on target. Then work on seating depth variations about .003 on either side of the .020 starting point to fine tune the load.
MV is a nice to know element but it's perhaps the least important factor to be concerned for in the development of hunting reloads. If you know your load and you have a good ballistics dope sheet you can accommodate the MV outcomes, as long as they're relatively consistent. It doesn't much matter how fast the bullet travels if it can't print reliably on target.
where the initial

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.