Question 8mm Mauser

Rupe

I have ended up with an extra 8mm Mauser barrel and I was thinking or daydreaming is more accurate, about building an 8mm Mauser (8x57js) handgun. Does anyone have one or have any expereance with one? Is it worth building one or would it be a waste of time and money?
It wouldn't be anything fancy or expensive. Just a legal handgun. Any thoughts, Answers, opinions, or comments? I'm not even sure I would build one, but it is a thought!
Rupe

Rupe,
I'm sure it could done! The main drawback I can see would be the lack of bullet selection. Especially to hunt with. You may not be able to push them fast enough for reliable expansion. Finding quality brass would be another obstacle, especially if you are looking to build an "accuracy" set-up. gun)

-Mike

Yep hunting bullets would be a.problem. Brass isn't a problem Win., Rem., Horn., and Nosler all make brass for the 8x57JS . Trajectory would probably be rainbow with a 17" or 18" barrel. Accuracy- I doubt it would be a tack driver. But as a novelty it would be fun. But it would be nice to hunt with but again, like you said bullets would be a problem. I don't think there is anything on the market that would expand at such a slow velocity. I know there isn't much out there for the 8mm Mauser rifles. Just a couple of choices and weights. Althought with the .325 on the market that could change. Thanks Mike! Anyone else?

Rupe

You may be surprised at bullet performance. Most of the 8mm bullets are made for lower velocities because of the old .318 diameter bore rifles that people shoot .323 bullets in. American made factory ammo is really SLOW but it expands really well. Remington and Federal makes a 170 gr bullet load that runs 2350 fps on average but it expands as well as any 170 gr 30-30 Win factory load on deer. My cousin has killed a train load of deer with these loads in his 8 Mauser. Much of the loading data is for the SLOW low pressure also. If you load the 8X57JS like it should be with pressures up to equal the 30-06 it will do about the same as the 06 velocity wise. The Sierra and Hornady 150s should work really well and Nosler makes a 180 ballistic tip. The Sierra 200 gr Match King might even surprise you at lower velocities.
Good cases for the 8x57 can be made from any 30-06 case. Pull the decaping/expander ball rod out of the 8X57 FL die and run the 06 case fully in. Trim the case to length. Put the decaping/expander ball rod back in the die and run it through again. You now have a 8x57 case.
I have a Hodgdon 26 manual and it list load data for the 8mm IHSMA in 14" barrel. This is the 300 Savage case expanded up to 8mm. With 170 gr bullets it gets between 2100 and 2200 fps with a number of powders. The 8X57 case will hold 9 to 10 more grs powder than the 8mm IHSMA. So if you add a 18" or so barrel you are going to be at least in the 2300 to 2400 fps range with 170s. Same as the factory ammo with 170s out of a rifle length barrel. :D Have I talked you into it yet???? :)

RT- Your info. on the bullets is very interesting, Good Stuff. If I had thought a little harder I should have come up with that, but thinking gets to hard sometimes. Haha, yes I knew about the pressure being low in the USA vs. Euro. I noticed how my a couple of reloading data has upped the pressures Lyman #49 has upped there's and Noslers is higher too.

I'm glad you went over the bullet info. That really makes it hard not to build it. So instead of a daydream, it has moved onto my wish list. I already have a sporterized VZ24 and I am in the process of putting together a Pre WWII VZ24 that will be totally factory when done, right down to the Bayonet. Both in 8x57JS (.323) Mauser. I think I NEED a handgun to go with them!
I thank you RT, but I bet my wife won't when I tell her! Hahaha

Rupe

I thank you RT, but I bet my wife won't when I tell her! Hahaha

Don't tell her. If she notices it after you get it you can always say, "I have had that for a long time" and mumble under your breath, "on my mind". That way you are not lying to her. Works for me. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.