Quarter bore fans; opinions wanted, what would you do?

In the same boat I shoot 100 grain scirocco's out of my 257's mainly i have a couple ruger 1's and several mark v's - haven't had one run yet from white tail, fallow and axis deer plus many hogs. My wife shoots 115 partitions in her 25-06 and I have some 110 accubonds for 257 roberts. Last 25 would be the wssm, finding components is tough actually have that one and his cousins 223 and 243 wssm for sale. Pretty much only shoot my LH wby's or ruger 1's for hunting these days.
I have 2 of the wssms, very fun cartridge.

I can honestly say I am very happy with 10" twists in all 3 of my 25 cals for now.
Would've liked a 9" or 8" twist in my 257 Bee, but it's a near new factory rifle and shoots lights out with 110g Accubonds, all I need.on our small Fallow deer, or my 25-06 shooting the same bullet, or my 257AI shooting 117g SMK.

Cheers.
In the same boat I shoot 100 grain scirocco's out of my 257's mainly i have a couple ruger 1's and several mark v's - haven't had one run yet from white tail, fallow and axis deer plus many hogs. My wife shoots 115 partitions in her 25-06 and I have some 110 accubonds for 257 roberts. Last 25 would be the wssm, finding components is tough actually have that one and his cousins 223 and 243 wssm for sale. Pretty much only shoot my LH wby's or ruger 1's for hunting these days.
This is how one should view what they currently have until it is due for a re-barrel.

We are shooting the 115g Berger and 110g Accubond at 3590 fps out of 25", 9T barrels. When hit, the deer and hogs look like they are dead while standing upright, then collapse, as seen with a gentry muzzle break on the barrel(others are more effective in reducing recoil, but are louder). So, for shooting 500 yds we seem to be at the break even point in going to a heavier bullet, higher bc with lower muzzle velocity. Our groups at 700 yards are still impressive with the berger 115s. My brother shot a really big sow, 350 lbs at least at 550 yards with the berger 115's, and she collapsed in her tracks. We had been hunting that sow for two years.

I am toying with the idea of chambering a Roberts improved for the 133s, have acquired brass and dies, we will see.

Been shooting a 120 Partitions out of my 257 AI, 22" bbl 1/10 twist since '87. Let's see.... 4 big Muleys, 6 antelope, "many" Texas Whitetails, and few coyotes and pigs, and none complained about not being hit with either a faster bullet or one spinning a bit faster. The 257 AI is now a 25-06 with a the same 22" 1/10 twist, moving to a 120 Accubond, and have no doubts that the results will be the same.

I have to wonder, why did Berger and (gulp) Hornady stop at 134/135gr .257 bullets, and not go larger?
Even in .264 they don't exceed 156grs I don't think.?

Berger has made a HUGE contribution to precision shooting by focusing on heavy for caliber bullets. Their chosen offerings aren't exactly a wild stab either. We know how long Berger has been in this game. They have VALID reasons for choosing what they offer, one being practical twist rates/bullet stability surely.

Calvin, like you I employ 257 for what it is. The finest offering of dual purpose effectivness. So much **** fun.! 75-135grs covers a lot of needs and it sure covers them well. Owned one since 1983, and my 4th version is waiting on a reamer that Manson says will be here mid June. It's a 25 Sherman Short Mag. Duckman is about to build a 25 Max, and we will be comparing. Lance T has the 25PRC/SI in progress now. It's a great day to be supplied with 25 cal bullets.!

Now, you gotta HURRY UP 😆. Keep us posted. Y'all thawed out up there yet?
My guess is because they have to appeal to a greater audience. The 134 is fairly heavy for a .257 bullet relatively speaking but still had quite a demand. A few rifle companies are making barrels to stabilize the 131,133,134,135 bullets today but none are making one for those real heavies. That's a specialty barrel scenario. Remember when the 131 blackjack came out ? No rifle company made a fast enough barrel to shoot them. They caught on and eventually things happened with companies building rifles for heavier .257 bullets. If those super heavy 257s catch on, the same will happen and even bullet manufacturers will start making heavier bullets. For most, the 130-140 class is heavy enough for the 257. Many jump into the next caliber or higher to get what the 160-180 bullets offer. One thing about these newer and heavier bullets being available for the 257 is, they sure do get the gears turning in heads and keep things interesting in the shooting world.

A few rifle companies are making barrels to stabilize the 131,133,134,135 bullets today but none are making one for those real heavies. That's a specialty barrel scenario. Remember when the 131 blackjack came out ?
Yes, that's what I was trying to convey in #48: Black Jack (Sierra) set the precedence for others to follow.
No rifle company made a fast enough barrel to shoot them. They caught on and eventually things happened with companies building rifles for heavier .257 bullets. If those super heavy 257s catch on, the same will happen and even bullet manufacturers will start making heavier bullets.
Agreed! While rifle companies have not fully embraced fast-twist barrels, a few barrel manufacturers are making 1:7" -1:7.5" in .25 cal for all of us to build upon. Below are some examples:

* X-Caliber
* McGowen
* Pac-Nor
* Muller Works
* Lilja
* Osprey Barrel Works
* Douglas Barrel
* Proof Research
* Benchmark Barrels
* Preferred Barrels
* CarbonSix Barrels
* Hart Barrels

One thing about these newer and heavier bullets being available for the 257 is, they sure do get the gears turning in heads and keep things interesting in the shooting world.
Agreed! We need risk-takers and innovators. @Bghunter338 and I experimented with the 145 Black Hole and have transitioned to the 163 Chinchaga and, soon, the 180 Chinchaga, as noted in #37/39. Again, no one is forcing us to go the fast twist barrel or heavy bullet route. It boils down to personal choice/preference and intended purpose.

Recent Posts