Pushing shoulder back on case to form 35* shoulder and longer neck.

ZAR LRH

Sure there are a few guys here with some wildcatting or case forming experience. I prefer a case with a 35* shoulder and longer neck. Some guidance and consideration to take into account when you push the shoulder back on a case with sharper shoulder? Do you push the entire shoulder back etc.?

You will crush the case body try to push the shoulder back all at once and probably trying to make it 35 deg trying to push it back at the neck shoulder junction.
You really need to start from the outside and work to the neck shoulder junction.
Forming dies work best for this process.

I form 22 middlestead from 243, 6.5x47 from hornady 6.5 creed, and 6xc from 6 and 6.5 creed. Also made 6.5creed from norma 308 win brass before good brass came out. Take the spindle out of your fl sizing die, only lube the body of the case, size it in 2 stages. Go halfway on the first and then all the way down. Then reinstall the spindle and fl size. You will most likely need to trim to length and possibly neck turn.

Thanks guys. I also played around with forming 6mm Rem brass from 9.2x62 and 30-06 to test a few things. Anyone still shoots SLR?

I shoot the 6slr and pushing the shoulder back to a 30 degree couldn't be more simple. Just run it through the die. Done. I use lapua brass so I need to do a mandrel run and turn the necks. Remington and Winchester brass is just size and shoot. I've shot many 5 inch 10 shot groups with the 6slr at 1000 yard matches. 105 hybrid at 3175 was the sweet spot. I shoot 115dtacs now about 100fps slower.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.