public land softwear for GPS

Can you run the Public Land Boundaries Overlay Map and the Hunt Area Boundaries Overlay Map at the same time?

Yes, the transparent overlay maps are designed to be used in conjunction with one another. Think of them as layers of data on the map. As long as you use MapSource to load the data to your GPS, you can stack as many of these transparent maps one on top of the other.

Every time I go to MT , I come away frustrated, trying to figure out their maps .

I guarantee you won't come away frustrated if you use one of these maps.

MTnamestopo1.bmp
MTnamestopo2.bmp

Is the map listing the names of owners part of the program that has been mentioned? If so, that is awesome!

I would think of the names as being one more level of options in addition to the publlic/private colored fields.

Len, I had the opportunity this weekend to try out the land ownership software I bought from you. It was fantastic and extremely accurate. I did find a couple of errors along the Big Horn River that were marked as BLM but were not. I'm not sure why these appeared as public land. But overall I'm extremely impressed with the software. Wow! I use to use copied 7.5 topos with land ownership on them with UTM grids and rulers to find my approximate location. So far this software is right on the money everytime according to the BLM signage I used to check the accuracy. Len how much more to get the added field of landownership with names?

Whip, glad to hear you're happy with the map. The added feature of land owner names is only available in MT. Other states soon.

Last edited:
To bad the private land ownership is not yet ready for Wyoming, maybe in the future they will have it. Great product one I would recommend as a must have for anyone coming out west here to hunt on public land. My son who is a game warden checked a hunter this fall who had a similar program if not the same one. When he told the landowner who had called in the trespass about the mapping GPS with the landownership software the landowner backed off of trespass and said it appeared they may have been on his property but he wasn't 100% sure.. Before that if the landowner was willing to sign the complaint and the hunter couldn't in anyway show he wasn't trespassing it could have ended in a ticket issued for trespass. After playing with my GPS and the landownership software last weekend my son wants one for himself. It could easily help replace the dozen BLM maps he carries in his pick up.

Whip, thanks for the feedback.

I have just recently received reports of an area South of Casper, WY, and your area in along the Bighorn River that show BLM covering up private. I looked into this and found the reason for the error in the data. I will be able to fix these errors by Feb 1. I have checked all other states and this error will only affect the Wyoming map.

Please send your chip in for a FREE update - sometime in the near future. Anybody who has ordered the Wyoming SD card prior to this date should send their chip in for a free update. Those who ordered the download can update their map for free by downloading the newest version of the map from the website February 1.

Happy Hunting!

Last edited:
I'm ready to order one, especially now that they are on sale. :)
Len,
If I order the map for Wyoming will this have this update, or do I still need to send it in??
Thanks

Whip, thanks for the feedback.

I have just recently received reports of an area South of Casper, WY, and your area in along the Bighorn River that show BLM covering up private. I looked into this and found the reason for the error in the data. I will be able to fix these errors by Feb 1. I have checked all other states and this error will only affect the Wyoming map.

Please send your chip in for a FREE update - sometime in the near future. Anybody who has ordered the Wyoming SD card prior to this date should send their chip in for a free update. Those who ordered the download can update their map for free by downloading the newest version of the map from the website February 1.

Happy Hunting!

Sorry I came down so negative. All one can do is arm himself with the best intel and hope for the best I quess. I would hope the Court would have to except a margin of error with recent land change. It is alittle different if the land never was gov. control and recent swap. As I previously stated and others , many land owners run a big bluff too.

Just to make sure I understand, this is taken from the product page:

DO NOT send any other map data to the SD card while it is in the unit - you may take the card out and use Mapsource to send any other data. You may send and receive data for waypoints, tracks, and routes to and from your GPS unit's internal memory

I didn't think some compatible units had internal memory, only sd card memory. So, if you want to save a point and label that point, can you save it on a the sd card with the state land ownership maps, or do you have to put in another sd card? I am thinking about getting a new GPS, so I am not necessary that familiar with what you can or can't do with them as far as this product is concerned. Thanks. Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.