Proud Canadian aspiring to join the 1000yd club!

Hello,
I am a Proud Canadian I hunt and fish to feed my family (beats looking for parking at the grocery store). I have recently been doing some reading and technical long range shooting has recently peaked my interests as well as handloading I'd love to be welcomed into the 1000yd club as I gain knowledge and experience unfortunately I'm playing with a limited budget so currently I'm working wit a .270WIN and a 7MM REM MAG. I have my handloading room all set up I just don't have the equipment yet as I am still shopping around. any and all tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated and yes I may/will ask stupid questions!gun)

Welcome and please understand that there are no stupid questions; except for those that need to be asked and are kept silent.
I wouldn't count on the .270 for 1K but the 7mm Mag. should work just fine.
Best tip I can offer is to start at a distance at which you can hold a consistent group in an 8 inch circle. Then work at that distance until your group is consistent in a five inch circle before advancing to a greater distance. I usually recommend advancing 50 yards at a time, following the same rule, but if you're an experienced shooter and can handle a mor dramatic change you may find success moving out 100 yards with each advance sequence.
In my experience it's all pretty academic out to 600 yards. Accuracy then gets a bit challenging out to 800 yards and beyond 800 yards it's a whole new world. But once you've mastered 1 MOA at 1K you'll feel like a king - and you'll never want to shoot under 600 again :) unless of course that Elk happens to stand still ou there.
When you post questions on a forum (this one or an other) to obtain a better understanding of any problems you're having with long range accuracy be careful not to jump at the first theory. Offering meaningful solutions to accuracy issues is very difficult without actually working with the rifle and you will find a mix of both credible and questionable feed-back from any forum you frequent. Learn as much as you can about your rifle and its special characteristics. No two rifles will perform exactly the same, regardless of the load or set up.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.