• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED PROOF RESEARCH (& other CF wrapped barrels)

Litehiker

Most of us have heard about or seen Proof Research carbon fiber wrapped barrels.
Like synthetic stocks, be they "plastic", fiberglass or metal, CF wrapped barrels break away from tradition.

COST-> Looking more closely at the plusses and minuses of a CF barrel we see the big minus is cost. So what if they last longer? Maybe we can buy two Brand X barrels for the cost of one CF barrel.

But wait, there's more - the plusses.

COOLING-> But longer barrel life is just one plus. It happens because, amazingly, a CF wrapped barrel cools faster than even a fluted steel barrel.

STIFFNESS->Greater stiffness is another factor that is important because it means that when cold/cool heat up CF barrels will "walk" point of impact much less than a solid steel barrel, especially vertically. My carbon fiber cross country ski racing poles are extremely stiff so i can put more energy into propulsion and less into bending the poles.CF barrels are extremely stiff, cutting down on harmonic vibration and also permitting a wider range of bullets to be accurate. (Yes, a cooler barrel also helps mitigate walking. So with CF wrapping you get the best of both worlds.)

LIGHTNESS-> Finally lightness is a big factor for mountain rifles and CF barrels are about 15% to 20% lighter than all steel barrels.

I like Bartlein barrels and the fact that Proof Research uses them is encouraging to me.

So, given these advantages, it looks likely that other manufacturers will join in the CF wrapped barrel market in the near future. Accuracy is a product of consistency and CF barrels appear to be very consistent in their performance.

It seems that with recent advancements in bullets, cartridges, scopes, stocks/chassis, and barrels we are entering a Golden Age of rifle shooting. Are we worthy? :D

Eric B.

Where did you read that proof uses bartlein bbls? Last I heard they bought out Lawrence bbls and are running them.

Proof has not been wrapping Barliens since 2012.

Might want to read more updated articles on proof Research stuff. Or just call them.

Brian

Proof is one of the late bloomers to the carbon barrel game...Christensen and MRI were way ahead of them...

Supposedly PR is the only CF barrel maker that has met US military standards but then maybe Christensen and others didn't attempt to get certified.

Christensen Arms is part of a much bigger aerospace company so I'm sure their barrels are up to high standards.

The only caveat with CF is that while it is very strong in vertical compression it is much weaker to lateral blows. (Don't ask how I know.) A good exterior layer of resin could help in that area.

Eri B.