problems with a .338 Win mag

• Thread starter Deleted member 9505
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 9505

My son has a Browning A-Bolt Medallion in .338 Win Mag that has been giving us fits. First the best groups it shoots are about 4" at 100 yards. We tried Accubonds, SST's, Barnes Triple X and 250 gr. Spitzers. Different powders with different weights don't seem to help. It also shows high pressure about 10% below max and anything higher will stick the bolt and flatten or crater the primer. We tried pressure at the end of the stock as well as free floating. The bedding bolts were loosened and tightened in different patterns to see if that would help. We changed scopes with the same results. The local gunsmith check the headspace and said that it was fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Right now were going to swap it for the exact same thing and take a $150 hit on the swap. I guess it's worth it to get rid of a stinker. Thanks for the replies. PaTony

I had a Browning Stainless Stalker with a BOSS in .338 Win that wouldn't shoot straight either. I tried 5 or 6 kinds of bullets with 5 or 6 powders and when that wouldn't work, tried bedding it. Nothing worked so I sold it to my uncle who thought he could figure it out. He shot several hundred rounds through it and couldn't get anything good so he sent it to the factory. They tried some 225 Remington Corelokts and got a 1" 3-shot group and sent it back. So he bought another Stainless stalker in .338 with no BOSS and after a few hundred rounds decided it was no good either.

Thanks for the replies, also when we shoot the same loads in both our .338's he gets about 175fps slower and his barrel is 2" longer. Mine has a BOSS and his doesn't.

Are you confortable with your rifle? Some time the problème is the shooter.
Try this trick: Have a friend load the rifle for you with out you seeing im. Once in a wild he ase two not load it. Thend you will see if you jump the shot.Y dont whant to shok any one but it could be surprising to see the result.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts