Primer and powder storage

Do not store powder or primers in a place where they can act like a bomb. A colleague of mine stored a bunch of powder in a concrete walk-in vault along with his massive gun collection. The powder spontaneously ignited one day and blew the place to pieces. A family member outside on a patio above the vault was badly burned (ICU stay) and the entire collection was destroyed.

Sure, that's rare, but a fire could easily do the same thing. A gun safe is potentially the same thing.

A well-built wooden box with brass hardware is the recommended standard. Burning powder, loaded ammo, or primers are impressive, but the same in a confined space is dangerous,

I keep my primers and powder separated and in camping coolers. Up on the shelf with the rest of the camping stuff. So less temperature fluctuation, and camouflaged from my guests. I'm tired of denying people handouts when there is a run on the market every election cycle. Everybody has a smart mouthed comment when they see the supplies. Then stuff happens, and they don't have enough stuff, so they come begging. Also my Ammo cans in stacks have chains and padlocks through all the handles. Good luck dragging out that whole pile chained together. Most druggy smash and grab types will ignore anything they cant pawn for quick cash. But once anyone goes a few days without food or water they will see the worth in everything that isn't bolted down. This next week should be interesting to say the least.

Do not store powder or primers in a place where they can act like a bomb. A colleague of mine stored a bunch of powder in a concrete walk-in vault along with his massive gun collection. The powder spontaneously ignited one day and blew the place to pieces. A family member outside on a patio above the vault was badly burned (ICU stay) and the entire collection was destroyed.

Sure, that's rare, but a fire could easily do the same thing. A gun safe is potentially the same thing.

A well-built wooden box with brass hardware is the recommended standard. Burning powder, loaded ammo, or primers are impressive, but the same in a confined space is dangerous,
My neighbor had shot gun powder in his closet for years his wife opened the door one day static off of her night gown set fumes off she died 3 days later so it does happen. David

I would like to acknowledge the wisdom that has been expressed concerning the very real danger associated with storing powder in any tightly-contained area, and a safe in particular. And MULTIPLY that risk if you add primers to the mix.

Likewise, primers, even when properly separated from propellant, should never be stored in a strong container such as a safe or ammo can.

Is theft of reloading components a real problem or a theoretical one? How many real-world instances of that kind of theft have been documented?

I have an old non working fridge that I store the primers in the freezer section and the powder in the main section. No one would look in a fridge in the basement lol

For what it is worth:
1. All powder stored in original containers, in a closet in the house, so the temp remains stable.
2. All primers stored in metal "ammo cans", with desiccant packs ( I change out the packs 2-3 times per year), in a different closet, but still climate controlled..
3. All ammo stored in metal "ammo cans", with desiccant packs ( I change out the packs 2-3 times per year).

In case you want to know what happens if you have a fire (I had one that destroyed my home):
1. Powder burns, simply adding fuel to the fire. That is why powder comes in plastic containers nowadays.
2. Primers explode, blowing the metal cans apart.
3. Ammo cooks off, consuming all paper in the can, lead and copper melt, cases burst, but no cans blew open..

The smokeless powder & primers need to be treated with respect. The links above specify storage requirements.

Use common sense - don't create some pressure bomb by powder & primer storage in sealed containers - gun safes, refrigerators (steel doors with rubber gaskets). I store my powder and primers in heavy wood boxes made using 2X lumber having some normal ventilation. In addition the boxes are lined with 1/2 inch sheet rock. The idea is to provide an insulated barrier to protect the contents from heat in the event of fire yet allow some normal and continuous ventilation.

Powder deteriorates with age and temperature so keep it cool & dry. Storage in some uninsulated garage that gets over 100* in August is not a good move. Corrosive and explosive gasses are a product of the deterioration. Various stabilizers are added to the powder to slow the rate of deterioration. I have seen the insides of steel containers that were rusty from powder storage of sealed plastic containers.

My stash of good stuff is contained in my wood vaults that are concealed in my reloading room and secured to wall framing by chain & pad locks.

Keep the primers & powder separate. There is some evidence that smokeless powder may detonate rather than combust under certain conditions and confinement is not a requirement for an explosion. Detonation might occur upon high temperatures and presence of moderate velocity shock waves like a combination of fire and primer explosions or explosions from propane propellants in aerosol gun cleaning sprays. Explosions are real nasty having shock waves in the 20,000 fps range.

Theft of large amounts of smokeless powder for various criminal and destructive purposes is a real possibility.

Last edited:
Friend of mine is a fireman. Claims most of the time things in the fridge are fine
If the house burns to the ground. All of welding tanks in the garage will be a bigger bomb

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.