Pressure? Keep loading or not

Lube on the case when firing will significantly increase bolt thrust and can keep the case from proper obturation to the chamber. This can give you a 'false' high pressure. It isn't really false, it's just the case isn't sealing to the chamber and is transferring all the pressure to the bolt face, but once the cases are cleaned of lubrication the load should be ok.

Not many people talk about this. I even remember an article I read by David Tubbs that said he doesn't tumble his brass every firing and when he does, he doesn't do it for long... He went on to say if your brass is too clean it becomes too slippery and it puts too much pressure on the bolt face.

Unfortunately, I already full length sized my brass prior to posting so I'll have to shoot again before playing with minimal shoulder bump. New primers went in way too easy on the cases with ejector marks for once fired brass so high pressure is confirmed. Loaded Retumbo tonight and have RL33 on the way to try also. Will also try deeper seating depth although that will compress powder charge further. If nothing else, I'll try lighter bullets with H1000 but definitely hoping these 285grainers will shoot well.
Forgot to mention that I am testing with HBN coated bullets if that adds anything to your thought processes.
Again, thanks for the feedback.
Shaun

Like I said before, cratered and flatten primers, that is a sure pressure sign. Back off your load by 3 grains and check your primers if you want to use the same powder and bullet.

Reloader 33 looks promising. First 3 rounds were 2728fps(cold/clean), 2730 & 2731fps. Thanks for the suggestions.
Photos seems to have uploaded rotated left 90degrees for some reason.

Attachments

• IMG_4368.jpg
    IMG_4368.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 48
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.