President of Federal, CCI, Speer & Remington ammo: Why ammo is hard to get.

And of course it isn't relevant that some people are buying every box as soon as it hits the dealer - lets all keep blaming the manufacturers and the federal government, but certainly not our fellow hoarders. I have talked to people in California who have over 5000 rounds of every caliber they own stored in their garages. I've personally seen a few garages in LA. That's 10's of thousands of rounds in 10's of thousands of garages. Just think of what would happen if their house (God forbid) ever caught fire. Or the Wal Mart sporting goods department managers I've talked to in Iowa, Missouri, Alabama, Mississippi and Florida (I build and remodel Wal Marts) who tell me that they have customers who know when a shipment arrives at their stores and are there waiting when the ammo is put out, and returning many times a day for many days to be able to buy the maximum Wal Mart allows over and over again. In Alabama recently I observed the same people doing just that. So lets put most of the blame where it's due. Do you really think that it is in the best interest of ammo manufacturers to withhold production of ammo, or that the government has a new way of withholding ammo as a form of gun control ? Gun sales are off the charts and every buyer needs a few boxes of ammo for his new gun. Between that, and the hoarders, the rest of us are left in the cold. I think we're all smarter than that on this forum. Lets not shoot the messenger, so to speak.
What an ignorant statement. I have three children plus me that shoot. We have a range in the back yard and the children compete. We go through thousands of rounds a year...each. And even if we didn't, what's wrong with someone having thousands of rounds? You're falling straight into the liberal argument of "why do you need that magazine/rifle/stock/ammo/machine gun". Because America and if I earn it and it's protected by the constitution then it's none of your business how much I have of anything.

And of course it isn't relevant that some people are buying every box as soon as it hits the dealer - lets all keep blaming the manufacturers and the federal government, but certainly not our fellow hoarders. I have talked to people in California who have over 5000 rounds of every caliber they own stored in their garages. I've personally seen a few garages in LA. That's 10's of thousands of rounds in 10's of thousands of garages. Just think of what would happen if their house (God forbid) ever caught fire. Or the Wal Mart sporting goods department managers I've talked to in Iowa, Missouri, Alabama, Mississippi and Florida (I build and remodel Wal Marts) who tell me that they have customers who know when a shipment arrives at their stores and are there waiting when the ammo is put out, and returning many times a day for many days to be able to buy the maximum Wal Mart allows over and over again. In Alabama recently I observed the same people doing just that. So lets put most of the blame where it's due. Do you really think that it is in the best interest of ammo manufacturers to withhold production of ammo, or that the government has a new way of withholding ammo as a form of gun control ? Gun sales are off the charts and every buyer needs a few boxes of ammo for his new gun. Between that, and the hoarders, the rest of us are left in the cold. I think we're all smarter than that on this forum. Lets not shoot the messenger, so to speak.
Ammo is the ONLY thing NOT listed within the constitution. As. Hands off... and by law. All that is required to allow is 20 rounds per weapon persuant to the militia act

What an ignorant statement. I have three children plus me that shoot. We have a range in the back yard and the children compete. We go through thousands of rounds a year...each. And even if we didn't, what's wrong with someone having thousands of rounds? You're falling straight into the liberal argument of "why do you need that magazine/rifle/stock/ammo/machine gun". Because America and if I earn it and it's protected by the constitution then it's none of your business how much I have of anything.
His statement has merit like it or not. Hoarding is a problem. I've seen pallets of ammo loaded into Uhaul trucks at "gunshows" more than a few times. No supplier/business brings pallets unless they know they have buyers.

His statement has merit like it or not. Hoarding is a problem. I've seen pallets of ammo loaded into Uhaul trucks at "gunshows" more than a few times. No supplier/business brings pallets unless they know they have buyers.
How is hoarding a problem? You think they started panic buying all that ammo or do you think they bought large quantities during the salad days? I'd highly doubt these are the guys at Walmart buying it as they put it on the rack. Someone investing now to save later with ammo is the same as any other investment.

Show me the government contract for that. You spend to much time on AR15.com.
Here's one and it is a small one.

Olin-Winchester has reportedly gotten the nod for a large contract to supply duty handgun ammunition to the country's border protection agencies.

The broad strokes of the $9.89 million contract to U.S. Customs and Border Protection, for 32.9 million rounds of 9mm ammo, was detailed in media reports on Sunday. A further five-year contract, for up to $100 million, is expected to be awarded next year.

Olin-Winchester has reportedly gotten the nod for a large contract to supply duty handgun ammunition to the country's border protection agencies.

The broad strokes of the $9.89 million contract to U.S. Customs and Border Protection, for 32.9 million rounds of 9mm ammo, was detailed in media reports on Sunday. A further five-year contract, for up to $100 million, is expected to be awarded next year.
How does that compare with the Army contract or any other branch of the military? How many rounds per agent does that equate to? Seem excessive to me but I could be swayed. Does anyone recall when the IRS had contracts like that? Just because it's a Government Agency doesn't make it OK.

Only another ~1.47 billion to find to justify your BS claim.

And if there's 20,000 agents on the boarders that's like 1,500 rounds per. If their annual training and qualification is 300 rounds and they rotate their duty rounds twice a year for another 100 that's barely three years of ammo. So a contract that size every three years wouldn't even leave a buffer. Shrug.

How does that compare with the Army contract or any other branch of the military? How many rounds per agent does that equate to? Seem excessive to me but I could be swayed. Does anyone recall when the IRS had contracts like that? Just because it's a Government Agency doesn't make it OK.
Very rough number but DoD needs about 315 million per year of 5.56 ball and more than that in blanks annually. Nearly all of DoD's small caliber ammo is produced at lake city and last I checked they supplied about 1.5 billion rounds of small cal annually to DoD.

DHS is even bigger. Look it up
Only another ~1.47 billion to find to justify your BS claim.

And if there's 20,000 agents on the boarders that's like 1,500 rounds per. If their annual training and qualification is 300 rounds and they rotate their duty rounds twice a year for another 100 that's barely three years of ammo. So a contract that size every three years wouldn't even leave a buffer. Shrug.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.