Preseason Workouts

Grew up in MT hunting and fishing. Snow ski raced on tele and fat boards. Also did ton of slalom water ski and bare foot. Never needed to do anything. Now that Im over 50 I horn hunt, bear hunt, raft,frame,stay active and hit some weights. Usually avreage about 5 elk pack outs with friends.Still going just a bit slower is all.I do some summer hiking also.

I pretty much work out all year around ...

- 30-45 minutes (20-30 minutes in summer, don't like sweating :D) of cardio in
treadmill @ 12% grade and 3 MPH 3X/WK
- 30 minutes of weigh training (toning) and core; 3X/WK
- 3-5 mile hike with my dog 3-5X/WK (longer in weekends)
- After hunting season, the wife and I do snowshoeing every weekend 5-10 miles
- Play competitive volleyball games

At over 50, I'm not too shabby but it's getting harder and harder going up and down them Montana mountain wilderness. :cool:

I try to hunt coyotes a couple of times during the month. I carry a heavy backpack with 40-50lbs of water, food, first aid kit, extra bullets and survival gear. A range finder and binoculars.
Once I've confirmed that I'm successful in the out of state draws for elk. I hike the hills around my home, go into my favorite local deer hunting spots and scout for sign and activity. Since I'm already out there I carry my 243 and hunt for coyotes, ground squirrels and jack rabbits.
The terrain is mixed with coastal mountains, high desert and desert dunes. It's a combinations of deep rugged canyons, ridges, draws and steep uphill climbs.
I get a serious burn by the time I get back to my truck.
By the time deer season opens here in San Diego I'm in good shape. Hunt my butt off with my younger friends. By late November I've packed my utility trailer and my truck for travel to Utah, Colorado, Arizona or Northern California for deer or elk, which ever state I draw. I prefer to hunt the late seasons for elk and pray for snow.

This season I drew a buck tag for San Diego and a anterless elk tag for Utah. So I've got allot to prepare for.
Gonzo
SEMPER FIDELIS

Crossfit has worked for me. That being said, it is not for everyone, and has plenty of critics. In my humble opinion, if the individual can manage their own limits within this program the upside is staggering. Research it, try it at a few local boxes if available, (most have an intro class for free) and see if you like it. I don't drink all the Crossfit kool-aid, but I think fundamentally it has some enormous benefits.

Do I still get tired when backpack hunting? Yes.

The difference is being able to recover extremely quick and continue on.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.