predators west Aug. hunt

prkrgrp

This was mostly for hunting although I like to get some business in when I go out on the road. My power dogg of 8 years finally crapped out so I was testing the new Primos dog catcher. $52.00 at Amazon used, I never pay more than $100.00 for any e caller.
The moon was setting around 3pm so the evening calling should be good. Pups should be out with the early births, so I decided to hit all the dens areas I had marked last Feb. first day was only half day hunt with no luck at all, did have some howl back but they were sticking close to the home ground. So I headed out to hit some spots I had not hunted for 2 years last time I was there I knocked em dead for 3 days.
Got to my sleep over unloaded and headed out 85 degrees, wind blowing and the moon was just setting. Got up to the top of a hill where there was a blm water tank and spring, when I got there I was surprised to see the tank full and running over, cattle were hanging around (good sign) Ok , lets see if this caller works I set it up about 30 yards to my right the wind is probably 15 to 20 I want the wind at my back, and I set up with my rifle facing my scent cone, I get out my misting spray and Just in case I hang a wick full of my WU misting formula designed by Dr. Charles Shawly right behind me on some sage. I'm ready it's been months since I had a kill, I could feel the chill run up my spine. Turned the e caller on full volume jack distress and let it roar down wind. 2 min. in here comes a dog full run headed for the caller, the call is on my right so I know that as soon as the dog hits my scent hopefully it will pause and try to figure out what the heck is going on, bingo sure enough it stops (100 yards) right in my scent zone looks up at me looks at the call, I'm on it I let one go and down it drops old painless drops another one. I love it when a plan comes together. That was fast so I wait a few more min. just in case some pups show up to get a free be from the parent. Nothing comes I head out to get my prize, this was a old female dry no pups and had to be 30 pounds or more was over 4 feet from tail to nose

Ok I only have 2 hours from the time the moon set to get in as many calls as I can got to keep moving, off to the next set.
This was down the road a couple miles, got set up in a bunch of lava tubes (dogs love these caves to den in and cool off) same set up, call is to my right, wind is at my back, I set up with my rifle straight down my scent cone, misting wick is on some sage behind me, and I have the sprayer ready to go. Turn the call on full volume and let it rip. 3 min. here come a dog up out of one of the lave tubes. It's really moving I know there's no way I am going to stop this one, I hit the sprayer full blast I see the a cloud of mist headed down wind, I hope it can slow this one down, sure enough it hits my zone and full stop looks around at the caller, back at me I only have a few seconds to make the shot I'm ready got the cross hairs on his shoulder, I let one go and down drops like a rock., wow this was a great start to the hunt. I wait a few more min. nothing shows off I go to get the prize and what a prize it was a huge male 40 pounds this guy was the alpha dog for the area. Again I love it when a plan comes together. Primos dog catcher, wu misting scent and I'm shooting 100%. Got go meet my friend and have some dinner. Tomorrow will be a record day for me.

Up at day break had a storm blow thru last knight and the smell a wet sage is in the air. 47 degrees the moon is already up and I'm headed out to the lave tubes.
I head back up to the water tank just in case the old female has a partner and or pups looking for her, on the way I decide to hit a long canyon that runs all the way down to some hay pivots this is a long call I set up the wind is at my back but I need to call to my left down the canyon as far as I can get it. I turn on the caller I let it rip full blast, 10 min. I'm getting restless, I know I should sit here for at least 30 min. but I can't wait I am sure there will be another male looking for the female I shot yesterday. I pull up the call and head out, get up to the tank set up the same way no wind this morning so I let the call do its magic. 15 min. nothing, I bummed, I thought for sure that old girl would have a mate looking for her this morning. Ok can't win all of them. Off I go back down the hill to the lave tubes. I come around the corner I look don the road and I don't remember seeing that brush in the road when I came up, I turn the blazer to the right hit the window button reach for the rifle just in case and sure enough it's a coyote sniffing around right where I parked the car hour earlier darn I should have waited another 15 min. that dog would have ran right into me. I park get the hand call and slip down the hill to the right of where I was earlier I get a half way good view set down and start blowing the close reed jack distress (Les Johnsons close reed) blow it a few more times the sun is at my back just coming over the hill, there it was that shinny white chest coming hard for the call, the darn thing is going to run right over me it drops down in the sage below me I can't see and I'm going to miss this one, I get up on my knees I'm ready I wait and like so many times right out of nowhere the dog pops out 20 yards in front of me, it knows something is not right but decides to take a look from another view point , sorry buddy that was the last mistake you will make the crack of the 22-250 echoes off the canyon walls and it drops like lead. This might be the mate to the female, off I go to check it out, it was a male maybe 2 or 3 could of been the mate. I'm riding high 3 shots 3 kills. Still100%. I'm headed for the lava tubes before it gets hot.

I drive by the first set from last knight I'll give it a break set up a mile down the road got up on a lave tube, same thing call is to my left this time, the wind is at my back, the sun is off to my right shoulder, got the sprayer, and wick set up I turn on caller and couldn't of been more than a min. I see a dog jump up out of a lava pile 400 yards, full run headed my way I know it has to cross my scent cone to get to the caller so I'm ready I hit the sprayer, I see a cloud of mist going down wind the dog and the spray meet at the same time it stops looks at me looks at the caller and turns to get a better look, it just takes a few extra seconds to make a difference, down it goes, I look up, out of the lave pile comes another dog following the trail of its pal, I hit the sprayer the dog stops in the same place, this time I'm ready and down goes another one. A double they don't come to often but when they do we have a party. I drag them together get my trophy pics and head down to the next set.

This set up lays right behind a mule skinners farm, tall rock pile looking out over miles of sage a sand dunes, this spot always produces coyotes. This time the sun is in my face, but the wind is still calm I set the caller to my left my plan is to ambush them when they come out of the thick sage headed for the caller, I turn it on full blast 2 min, I see a dog coming hard I can't make out what is going on it looks like rabbits running away as the coyote runs towards the call ,no wait those are coyotes I get my bearings back I count 6 coyotes they're in a swarm and headed my way , oh man I wish I had the shot gun with me, the first dog put's on the brakes when I bark it looks at me and turns full blast and is gone this was the female parent, just that quick the first pup behind her is gone the next 4 are swarming all over the call I bark again one of them stops and he's not going home. WOW that's was a first mom and the whole tribe coming in for the kill I should of just filmed that and forgot about shooting. I'll be back here next month for sure. I headed back to the sleep over for lunch. Tomorrow will be another great day.

Got up early and was going to get 10 sets in before noon had dogs barking at me all morning nothing came in, I was a little deflated after the previous 2 days. Decided to stop and see a friend along the way and never got out that day. Got head home tomorrow saved a couple nice spots for the trip home.
Up again at daybreak, hit the road and again had dogs barking at me all morning, had one last stop to make before I hit the pavement. No wind sun at my back I have the high ground and I'm about a mile from some hay pivots. Set the call up on a fence post and turned on low this time, 2 min. here come 2 dogs, the first one checks up 200 yards I freeze for some reason it has me pinned down, the 2nd dogs comes right in and stops 150 yards broadside I decide I better get it done now they both are a little nervous (must be that neophobic thing) I squeeze one off down it goes. It's always nice to end the hunt with a kill.

This was a great hunt right up there in my top 5 After reading Dr. Charles Shawley's coyote 101 numerous times I am now a believer in his research, the misting formula, using the spray when a dog is coming in, the cover scent in the wick bottle, the neophobic phenomenon. Primos comes across again with a great e caller new caller dog catcher under $80.00 I still stick to my own advice do not spend more than $100.00 for e callers.
We'll be at it again the end of this month with more action and great memories.
Predators West

Misting & wicking???
You sound like a traveling medicine show. Get some mouth calls & learn how to hunt coyotes.
Thanks, Kirk

I kill about 50 coyotes a year hand call 90% of them I use an ecaller maybe 2 months out of the year If your selling calls I'll buy one from and give it a test run.???, check out my hunts on this forum and at my website. I like to call downwind but it take some practice and learning as you put it, and about 60% of the my kills are downwind set ups, hey let me know about those hand calls you
have.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.