Predator and Prey

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by scarney19, Oct 18, 2018.

1. scarney19

scarney19 Member

A7578275-4532-40F9-87DB-0B36C5366C48.jpeg C8D5824B-73B4-446F-B80F-77E5DF8FEEAE.jpeg What a first rifle season for me here in CO. Opening morning the rut was still in full swing. Bulls screaming everywhere herding up their cow. My buddy was able to get a good size cow near last light. I hiked over to the part of the mountain to help him qaurter and carry out some meat. Quartering up the elk took us well into the night and it was nearly pitch black out there. Luckily, looked up at the right time and my
    headlamp caught a set of eyes slowly coming towards us in the timber. At first I thought it was a coyote of bear. It then started circling around us and coming in closer. We stared to yell but it wouldn’t scare off. It finally got close enough to where our headlamps illuminated it. We could see it massive tail and realized it was a lion. We continued to yell but the lion wasn’t phased and started low crawling towards us ready to pounce. I grabbed my rifle a fired a warning shot right in front of it into ground. Still nothing the lion kept coming in. At that point we figured the lion wasn’t scared of us and things could go south quickly, so I shot and killed it at 35 yards. We reported it to DOW and they were very understanding. Great DOW officers. After explaining the situation and showing them how close the lion was when I shot it, they said “yeah that was close”. I’ve spent most of my life in the outdoors but this was the first time I’ve ever experienced something like this. What an experience!

xsn10s, memtb, tuscan and 11 others like this.
  2. ShtrRdy

ShtrRdy Well-Known Member

Wow, good thing you were looking around while working. That's a good reminder for us all.

3. nmbarta

nmbarta Well-Known Member

Those things are scary. Most of what they kill never knows what killed them.

4. predator 22

predator 22 Well-Known Member

A dead lion is a good lion. Thanks for getting rid of one and congrats on your elk.

5. scarney19

scarney19 Member

djm670, Backcountry_IDN and Winkfish like this.
  6. tuscan

tuscan Well-Known Member

If you want to take your chances, bear spray is supposed to work on cougars too.:) but, I applaud the certainty with which you handled the matter. good job and way to stay vigilant.

7. IdahoShooting

IdahoShooting Member

8. IdahoShooting

IdahoShooting Member

Big lion! Thanks for saving a few more elk and deer.

9. just country

just country Well-Known Member

morning, that's why we hunters carry an extra pair of
    under shorts. u r very vigilant. lucky, 10mm
    works great. more elk to hunt. happy u r ok!!
    justme gbot tum

10. xsn10s

xsn10s Well-Known Member

Good job. Yes you saved some deer and elk and likely saved some hunters or hikers too.

11. memtb

memtb Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great hunting trip. Nothing like being “hunted” to intensify the hunting experience! :D memtb

12. Wedgy

Wedgy Well-Known Member

WOW ! great story, thanks for sharing !

13. Classic12

Classic12 Well-Known Member

More deer and elk for us to hunt, few question how many rounds dropped it, did it move a bit and what rifle and caliber. again thanks for the story