Precision iron sights for muzzleloaders

wildcat westerner

I have been informed by a muzzleloading hunter here in New Mexico that they can no longer use scopes. This apparently came out of nowhere. I have shot original Sharos BP rifles with iron sights and was amazed at their accuracy. These were precision sights, the front with a tiny pin and a lbubble level and the vernier rear sights were mounted on the stock wrist. These extremely expensive sights were very specialized, but much more accurate than anything commonly available nowadays that I am aware of.
Is anyone aware of a globe front sight and a more inexpensive vernier type rear sight available on the market today?

WW

I don't know if this helps but over at muzzleloader.com, they have the Williams western sight which is a front globe with cross hairs and a rear peep sight set up for various manufacturers of muzzleloaders . Hope this helps

I have been informed by a muzzleloading hunter here in New Mexico that they can no longer use scopes. This apparently came out of nowhere. I have shot original Sharos BP rifles with iron sights and was amazed at their accuracy. These were precision sights, the front with a tiny pin and a lbubble level and the vernier rear sights were mounted on the stock wrist. These extremely expensive sights were very specialized, but much more accurate than anything commonly available nowadays that I am aware of.
Is anyone aware of a globe front sight and a more inexpensive vernier type rear sight available on the market today?

WW

There are quite a few traditional muzzleloader vendors that carry a few different options. Buffalo arms co has a decent selection. I think Dixie muzzleloading also carries some. Track of the wolf is also a good source

WW
Check out David Pedersoli, they make quite a few

C Sharps sells them, as does Track of the Wolf, and Dixie Gun Works too, for vintage guns. What are you putting the sight on or considering putting it on? Will make a huge difference if its a PRB gun or a smokeless bolt action precision rifle. It will also make a big difference in how fast you need to be able to get the gun set up, a vernier tang is capable of extreme accuracy, but they are not great at all for bumping through the timber?

The Williams Western precision sites are pretty good but they can also be very hard to focus on. I have an astigmatism and it's almost impossible for me to use them unless it's a very high contrast target. Bright orange dot they work great deer on a dirt colored hill I can't see anything. May want to try a rear peep with a front fiber optic if you're in my situation.

Most states also have accommodations for people with certain types of vision impairment that allow you to use a fixed one power scope. That's the direction I'm going now