Hornady Precision Hunter

I had similar results with the SSTs. Full expansion, shed its core, no exit, major internal damage. Fallow deer at about 90 yards, DRT. Was open pasture, so even if he had run some, would have had no issues finding him. But if it had been in dense bush, would probably been a different story.

I had similar results with the SSTs. Full expansion, shed its core, no exit, major internal damage. Fallow deer at about 90 yards, DRT. Was open pasture, so even if he had run some, would have had no issues finding him. But if it had been in dense bush, would probably been a different story.
Yea that's my only concern. I knew she was down because I heard the crash but I know it could have turned out very differently. I just don't want to be in that situation.
Thank you all for the responses and suggestions. I'm going to look into them.

MSCHEVYZ71

I presume you are female by your nic, so working on that premise here is my advice.
You are shooting a 308 win. Here is a load I used for my ex-girlfriend when we hunted together. it will be gentle, it will be accurate and it will be as good as I could ever brew up for myself.
your standard cases if you reload. Nosler, Norma, and other high end brass work best. I preferred Norma and Nosler when I can get them but recently I have found Peterson is really strong consistent brass.
Winchester magnum large rifle primers
150 grain flat nose hollow points from Barnes (30-30 slugs)
starting loads of IMR-4895; 37.8 to 38.5 grains This will match the top end loads for 30-30 and will make the deep hollow point do exactly what it did for Heidi while we were hunting. the deer sort of just dropped without too much of a fuss. I personally hunted with a 1951 Win 94 in 30-30 and knew the slugs worked well. we kept the shots to 300 yards and under.
You can also substitute a 150 grain Hornady SST, Inner bond, GMX, 150 Gr. Nosler CT ballistic silver tip, and acu-bond in this load. all shot and performed nearly flawlessly for her.

Another load that worked well in her 308 Win was a 125 grain Nosler Ballistic tip with Win 748; 50.5 to 50.9 grains of powder.
have a great one.

MSCHEVYZ71

I presume you are female by your nic, so working on that premise here is my advice.
You are shooting a 308 win. Here is a load I used for my ex-girlfriend when we hunted together. it will be gentle, it will be accurate and it will be as good as I could ever brew up for myself.
your standard cases if you reload. Nosler, Norma, and other high end brass work best. I preferred Norma and Nosler when I can get them but recently I have found Peterson is really strong consistent brass.
Winchester magnum large rifle primers
150 grain flat nose hollow points from Barnes (30-30 slugs)
starting loads of IMR-4895; 37.8 to 38.5 grains This will match the top end loads for 30-30 and will make the deep hollow point do exactly what it did for Heidi while we were hunting. the deer sort of just dropped without too much of a fuss. I personally hunted with a 1951 Win 94 in 30-30 and knew the slugs worked well. we kept the shots to 300 yards and under.
You can also substitute a 150 grain Hornady SST, Inner bond, GMX, 150 Gr. Nosler CT ballistic silver tip, and acu-bond in this load. all shot and performed nearly flawlessly for her.

Another load that worked well in her 308 Win was a 125 grain Nosler Ballistic tip with Win 748; 50.5 to 50.9 grains of powder.
have a great one.
Definitely not a female. The MS is for Mississippi, but I understand where it could possibly be confused.
That being said, I don't reload at this time. Would like to one day, but not any time soon.
thanks for the reply though.

I have had great luck with Federal Fusion factory ammo in both a 300 WSM, and my 7-08. I have had very clean results with these bullets. Good blood and TNT results. Internal damage is extreme. I would add accuracy was excellent. Very glad we can now purchase the bullets.

Definitely not a female. The MS is for Mississippi, but I understand where it could possibly be confused.
That being said, I don't reload at this time. Would like to one day, but not any time soon.
thanks for the reply though.
Sorry about that. I have always had good luck with federal Fusion, Nosler Accu-bond, and Hornady SST and in a pinch; Remington core lockt. find a brand with those projos and you should do good.

The Fusion is good for up close if you are looking for an exit hole, it's a bonded bullet that'll hold together well just like the Accubond. The SST bullets for me have always given me an exit hole in my 7mm-08, 139gr SST is my go to load on this rifle. A couple kills within 100 yds or less and got an exit hole both times, one of those shots went through the shoulder.

I am surprised the 178gr ELDX that comes in the Precision Hunter ammo did not hold together at 308 speeds, it's on the heavier side so I wouldnt have thought it did not leave an exit hole.

The good thing of these bullets is that they do a great job on the vitals and prevent the animals from traveling a long distance after bullet impact, like some Bergers.

Last edited:
The Fusion is good for up close if you are looking for an exit hole, it's a bonded bullet that'll hold together well just like the Accubond. The SST bullets for me have always given me an exit hole in my 7mm-08, 139gr SST is my go to load on this rifle. A couple kills within 100 yds or less and got an exit hole both times, one of those shots went through the shoulder.

I am surprised rhe 178gr ELDX that comes in the Precision Hunter ammo did not hold together at 308 speeds, it's on the heavier side so I wouldnt have thought it did not leave an exit hole.

The good thing of these bullets is that they do a great job on the vitals and prevent the animals from traveling a long distance after bullet impact, like some Bergers.
Yea I was surprised too but they did do a lot of damage on the inside. I'm going to try my accubonds next time and see if I have any luck.
Thanks

To answer your question yes. I have shot two deer and a coyote with the ELDX and same result. Shots were all within a hundred yards or so. Tiny entrance, no blood, no exit, massive internal damage, could not recover the bullet. All three were DRT though. Didn't have to track them. I could definitely see a 20 yard tracking job, with no blood, in the SE woods making anyone nervous. I've been there. A sigh of relief when you see them 20-50 yards away after no sign of a hit.

Yea I was surprised too but they did do a lot of damage on the inside. I'm going to try my accubonds next time and see if I have any luck.
Thanks

I can tell you the Accubonds do penetrate more, but I've also seen them stop on the hide of the opposite side twice, both from a 270 WSM at 80 yards on coues deer and once on a mulie at about 125 yds, and nowhere near the damage to the vitals as I've seen with the SST, Ballistic Tip or a Berger.

Thanks

I forgot to mention that I have not seen a bonded bullet cause hydrostatic shock unlike the SST, Interlock or Ballistic Tip, they do not dump all their energy on the animal. I have only shot one deer with a Berger and it just stood there for a second or two and then it dropped. In most cases with the SST and BT they go down as soon as they are hit, and they don't kick or move, they are lights out. They die before they can get up again, their unconscious in a sense and bleeding out from the massive trauma to the lungs/heart and are unable to recover or wake up before they bleed out. What we call DRT or Bangflop.

Again, I'm yet to see this happen with a bonded bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.