Practice with Ravin r500e w/ Burris Oracle X

Moss

That white square under the tree is a bag target. The target is 140 yards away according to the Burris Oracle X crossbow scope and verified with my hand held rangefinder. The crossbow is a Ravin r500e shooting a 400 grain bolt at 504 fps.

This setup makes it fun to practice at extended range. The 2 bolts in the bottom of the bag are my first group. The last two are bolts are after correction and well after legal or reasonable shooting light. I believe the final group will be tighter tomorrow when the sun is still up. It was so dark when I shot the last group I had to use the flashlight on my phone to load the crossbow. The pictures of the target are back-lit by the side by side headlights.🤣

This is definitely stretching this setup. I believe I can get a few more yards out of the reticle. The last group is 3.75" at 140 yards.

I will say that the sighting of the scope at 20 yards is unnecessarily tedious and difficult. Burris needs to relocate the set screw for the windage adjustment or scrap the whole mount adjustment sight-in process.

The difficult part of shooting the Ravin r500e at short range is the damage done to targets from the speed and force of the bolt. The bag I'm shooting is cheap but rated for 625 fps I believe. I'm on target #3 at less than 50 bolts fired.

With all that said, I'm very happy with the results after truing the Oracle X today. The crossbow is very near a 1 hole shooter at 140 yards if my eyes can see.🤣

Now, the move to 3-D with broadheads and finding my hunting range. >Moss

Attachments

• 20231001_185217.jpg
    20231001_185217.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot_20231001_202031_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20231001_202031_Messages.jpg
    605.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 20231001_185335.jpg
    20231001_185335.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 73
Wow, 140 yds. That's crazy with a bolt!! I picked up an R26 last year and I feel you on a target being able to handle the speed. Anything under 40 yds my Block target doesn't stop the bolts. They sink so far I have to push it out from the back. Really screws up the fletchings. And that's probably at 100 fps slower than yours!

Wow, 140 yds. That's crazy with a bolt!! I picked up an R26 last year and I feel you on a target being able to handle the speed. Anything under 40 yds my Block target doesn't stop the bolts. They sink so far I have to push it out from the back. Really screws up the fletchings. And that's probably at 100 fps slower than yours!
Ross,
I'm on box #3 of the .001 arrows due to fetching rips from over penetration into the bag. First and second box go to the pro shop for refletching tomorrow. I haven't damaged a single arrow by anything except bag damage. I have found the arrows to be extremely accurate though and I've got enough left for broadhead practice. The only time I've shot at the same spot on a bag is when I shot the 140 yard setup. Otherwise, it's too close to risk busting arrows.