Powders for SS109 .223

m.o.a.man

I ahve recently purchased 500 62gr. SS109 and 1200 55gr. Tracer bullets. I looking for a load with AA2520, RL-15 or H-4198. I usually shoot Sierra 69gr. and 77gr. and know that accuracy will not match those loads, but I am ex-Army and love to see those SS109 smoke through .250 plate followed by a couple of tracers! Thank you.

gun)

MachV

Been a long while since I reloaded any FMJ let alone tracers and even then surplus powders where used that you will have a hard time finding these days (AA2200 and 846). If memory serves you want to use a hot ball powder to get the tracers to light off and even then we usually had to weaken the back tab to get the old surplus tracers to light consistantly.
None of the powders you have are optimal but
Speer lists AA2520 for the 62 grainers between 24.5 and a max of 26.5C
For a 55 grain FMJ they list AA2520 from 25grains to a compressed 27grains. **As you know the tracers can and WILL start a fire**

Blue-tips out of the 82A1 where fun!!

Last edited:

m.o.a.man

Thank you MarkV. I have decided to pick up some ball powder, maybe 844. I stuffed a full load of 4198 in Lake City brass with CCI Magnum Small Rifle primers and 27.6gr of RL-15 in the same cases and primers. Thanks for the 2520 load. This is my first time to loads with this powder and it meters awesome! Great pictures! I always loved jumping on the 50 and sending some SLAP rounds through an old Deuce and a half!gun)

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce