Powder Test 7mm Rem Mag

I normally shoot the "final" test at 200. If I ever get to a final. This one was a powder charge test. I was looking for low ES. I shot at a target (100 yards and the groups kind of tracked ES. I don't have the targets here in front of me so I could be wrong about that. The mirage is really bad in the afternoon right now. So is the wind. 200 is about the max for groups and, for hunting loads, it's about all I'd be willing to shoot at except for hogs and coyotes.

One thing I've noticed, after cleaning and lubricating the bolt. plus changing the firing pin spring to a 28# Wolff spring, the weird vertical flyer I used to get seems have gone away.
I had LRI do a firing pin upgrade/bushing job on a m700 recently.
There is no way anybody could have prepared me for the accuracy benefit I got. Wish I'd done it 250 shots sooner

Mike, H4350 is to be found if you look. In your weather, it may pay big dividends,
Or RL16. temp sensitive powders are dead to me. RL26 wasn't that stable for me, about a fps per degree, but faster then H1000.
I shoot a 7mag 8T with 68.8 grs of H1000, 180 vld-h, Peterson brass, cci 250, 67 thou jump, 2 thou bump, 12 ES, .44 moa, 2917 fps.
Consistency is what I want, not speed.

Or RL16. temp sensitive powders are dead to me. RL26 wasn't that stable for me, about a fps per degree, but faster then H1000.
I shoot a 7mag 8T with 68.8 grs of H1000, 180 vld-h, Peterson brass, cci 250, 67 thou jump, 2 thou bump, 12 ES, .44 moa, 2917 fps.
Consistency is what I want, not speed.
I'm in your camp.
Cut down dramatically on my "development" time too. I like fewer choices.

So I have used Imr 4350 but be aware in cold weather you will lose fps. About 1 fps per degree. You need a wide node. Also in mine we are shooting deer at < 300 yds so the velocity loss was not a deal breaker. As for the 150 Barnes TTSX I had terrible results with the 140 on deer sized game. I cant imagine the 150 is any better.

So I have used Imr 4350 but be aware in cold weather you will lose fps. About 1 fps per degree. You need a wide node. Also in mine we are shooting deer at < 300 yds so the velocity loss was not a deal breaker. As for the 150 Barnes TTSX I had terrible results with the 140 on deer sized game. I cant imagine the 150 is any better.
how did the ttsx not preform?

how did the ttsx not preform?
Well it blew through the chest cavity with no wound channel. Looked like a bow shot deer. After using ballistic tips and soft points where the lungs are basically jello and the deer dont make it far. These deer ran 200 yds. Good blood trail. Like a bow shot deer. Upon examining the lungs I found an x shaped wound and minimal bruising. I think it's just a high sd dense bullet. If it doesnt hit bone theres no wound channel. I was pushing it 3200.

I'm in your camp.
Cut down dramatically on my "development" time too. I like fewer choices.
And H1000 to me has proven to be excellent with 180 gr 7mm, 200-208 gr 30 cal bullets. I was at range yesterday. 7mag load I listed before, paper was 100 and Peel n Stick was 200 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_20230809_154134_01.jpg
    IMG_20230809_154134_01.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 37
  • 20230809_153958.jpg
    20230809_153958.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
it's an aftermarket firing pin inside of a tighter bushing. Bolt face is squared back off perfectly after install.
every primer is perfectly center punched and there is no cratering, since there is minimal gap around the pin for cup material to flow into.
my gun builder said this is the 3rd m700 he's seen this happen with.IMG_6065.jpegIMG_6042.jpeg 300 yds with fire forming loads.
25 Sherman LA.
this gun about made me check into the padded room hotel before this upgrade.

Last edited:
it's an aftermarket firing pin inside of a tighter bushing. Bolt face is squared back off perfectly after install.
every primer is perfectly center punched and there is no cratering, since there is minimal gap around the pin for cup material to flow into.
my gun builder said this is the 3rd m700 he's seen this happen with.View attachment 484719View attachment 484717 300 yds with fire forming loads.
25 Sherman LA.
this gun about made me check into the padded room hotel before this upgrade.
Crazy that the firing pin would cause problems with accuracy or I should say bolt face?

A firing pin spring may become weak after sitting cocked in the safe for many years.
This action is an '08 model. It shot lights out for a long time, sat up a while, then wouldn't shoot. After confirming a bad CF barrel, that is being warrantied by the manufacturer, I put a tried and true one on it. The original Shilen. Still no consistency. But the firing pin work solved that thankfully.

I looked at the min/max reloading data for H4350 and the ladder test loads that I posted above will work and be under max. I'm going to reshoot that test, without the 8/9 screwup, with H4350, and see what it looks like. The heat is still on so it should be close to a 1:1 comparison. I won't shoot it until tomorrow.

Mike, I promise that your barrel can not read those reloading manuals. Determine what is the max for your rifle with the lot# of components you have on hand. Barrel inside dimensions can vary greatly, so work up carefully to find max. I load one shot and one shot only, work up in .5g increments to find max pressure, back off 2.5-3g shooting three-shot groups looking for a 1/4" or less group.