Porcupine down

jbronner13

029D3847-B8D6-45DB-ADE9-73C0BA893EED.jpeg

Porkys have always been considered a sort of survival ration on the hoof…since you can kill one of them with a stick, or a rock. I wouldn't kill one unless it was near the house. They mess up a dog sometimes fierce.
My dumb *** dog has been quilled twice. One of those times in the inside of his mouth and throat so I just take 'em out now instead of paying 4k in vet bills 😂

Porkys have always been considered a sort of survival ration on the hoof…since you can kill one of them with a stick, or a rock. I wouldn't kill one unless it was near the house. They mess up a dog something fierce.
Also…all 5 in my backyard. So far this year I have snapped pictures of a bobcat in the front yard, turkeys, foxes, deer, porcupines etc

Porkys have always been considered a sort of survival ration on the hoof…since you can kill one of them with a stick, or a rock. I wouldn't kill one unless it was near the house. They mess up a dog something fierce.
Years ago they were illegal to kill. They were considered a "Survival Food" if your were lost in the woods. I think that was in Canada.
I know what they can do if they get into a hunting cabin. Total destruction!

Years ago they were illegal to kill. They were considered a "Survival Food" if your were lost in the woods. I think that was in Canada.
Yep, I've seen that in the aftermath. It was a mess. Killed one with my bow in Colorado years ago got a spine in my hand trying to recover the arrow. We don't have them in the south thank God. We have raccoons. That's enough.

Back in the day they were considered survival food & by many of the native cultures & by the Europeans. Nobody killed them otherwise. Just common sense for the times.

Colorado has (or had) the law that protected them for survival food. Not sure if it is still in the books.

Just looked it up. You can kill porcupines in CO if they are causing damage on your property. Nuisance wildlife law.

Last edited: