Please read this before purchasing a bird dog from this Kennel!!!!

privatepilot

Please read this before purchasing a bird dog from this Kennel. I bought a bird dog named Suzie from Harris Kennels - in Kansas. This has been the worst experience i have ever had in purchasing a bird dog. We watched the dog work and listened to what they had to say about the dog. We liked so we bought her. We get her home, and she is completely not even close to what we thought she was. This dog has never been hunted/trained in tall grass, never seen a hedge row, and acts like she has never seen a wild bird, only pin raised birds that have to be thrown up. We notified the owners immediately with our concern and was instructed to give the dog some time to adjust to the change, which we agreed to do. The dog never came around and in fact hasn't improved at all. We were instructed to give her 30 days and see how she reacted, then never heard back from the kennel. I have just recently contacted them to see if there is anything that could be done, it has been 2 months since I have heard anything. Their response was nothing could be done, but they are sorry we are disappointed in the bird dog. IMAGINE THAT!! This dog is not worth what we gave for her, not even close. If you are considering buying from these people please contact me and come and see the product we got when we arrived home. I will buy some birds and take you on a hunt with her. If this is the type of dogs that this kennel sells I want everyone to see before wasting their money like we have. I will guarantee that they will not receive another dime of our business!! I AM IN NO WAY TELLING YOU NOT TO BUY FROM THESE PEOPLE, ONLY TO VIEW THE PRODUCT WE WERE SOLD BEFORE YOU MAKE YOUR DECISION. Please contact me with all questions and concerns, [email protected]. Thanks!

Man I hate to hear that, it is very hard to find a good dog now days. People have breed any and everything trying to make money only at the expense of a good dog. There is a local breeder here that does the same thing. What all is she doing and I will see if I can talk you through somethings to try to help. What part of Kansas are you in? We hunt Junction City every year. Also what is the rabbit population like were you are? Best of luck with you dog.

Wondering if you bought a started dog or a finished dog? Where do you live and how much taller is your grass? I would think the grass hieght would make no difference unless all there dogs hunt by sight. A good nose is a good nose dosen't matter what type of cover.

I hunted German shorthairs and Wirehairs, Both excellent breeds.

We had a Blue tick and collie mix that dog would run you to death. anything from pats woodcock and even squrrells. if there was a place with mud she was in flushing woodcock, she was the smartest dog I ever used. I know some times a kennel dog wont adjust for a long time with new people, hpoefully the dog did not runaway the first day. I know of a guy who bought a setter and as soon as he took it into the field it was gone...he had the dog for a week and spent no time with it...he was in the bar.(NOT MY FRIEND)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.