planning a western deer hunt??

britz

Here's the deal, I live in Mn and I have my brothers, brother inlaws and dad finally talked into a getting out west for a deer hunt. We are planning it for two years from now and are thinking Nebraska, Montana, .... really don't know yet. I just thought I'd ask some of you guys for suggestions. We aren't rich folks and are looking for relitivily inexpensive buck tags and I am not sure where to begin so any advice is welcome.

I live and hunt in Washington, but have hunted Wyoming a couple of times. Excellent hunting there, with many mule deer & elk to be found. I've never hunted pronghorn, but there are big herds of them too. Good tags are not all that hard for a non-resident hunter to draw either. I've drawn for elk and for mule deer there, but have also struck out a few times trying for another elk hunt.

One caution on Wyoming - there are areas designated as "wilderness" in which a non-resident hunter must use the services of a guide/outfitter. Still, even with that, there's a large amount of public land avail there to hunt, without employing a guide/outfitter.

Another note - some of the application/draw processes start early. Seems to me that when I was applying for elk tags in Wyoming, I had to have my application submitted in January or February - I know it was very early in the year. The deadline for the deer application was later. If not drawn, Wyoming refunds all but a few dollars. Don't forget the conservation stamp once you're in-state too.

Best of Luck! Guy

I have been hunting for years in the Big Horn Mtns. of Wyoming. It is a wonderful place to hunt. Lots and lots of land to hunt on and pleanty of animals. I would encourage you to look there. Applications are due around the middle of March for deer. You can setup camp just about anywhere and I am sure you would enjoy it.

I live in WI not to far Minneapolis. I drive there every year and cannot wait to go again.

I just returned from Wyoming,in the Casper area.Drove from N.J.so as tobe able to bring 4+rifles each and much gear.Hunted antelope+deer on a private ranch.No cost on ranchbut saw more hunters this time than previous yrs.Shot antelope,nodeer(past on 2).Prairedog shootin was fair.Motel was 50mi.from ranch.Ate 2meals out every day.Gas,motel,food+extas=aprox.1700.00+each .Add licensecost +. Dskiper

A group of us hunted region A in WY, the last couple years. The northern areas have tons of deer, but a lot of private land. Get good maps and you will find tracts of blm and state lands with good numbers of deer and goats. Just be damb sure to check with the blm office about any status changes of the lands. If a rancher catches you hunting his land you will not meet a more ****ed off cowboy.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.