Western Oklahoma deer hunt

Ozonaed

Going in a about a week. Will be my first time hunting there. Wonder if there's a member that is familiar with the area. Taking a Christensen Arms 300 RUM and a custom 280 AI . Both are dead on at 200. Was wondering on the terrain.

Where exactly are you going? There is a lot of wide open land, with some rolling hills, creek bottoms and canyons. Not many hardwoods. Trees will along creeks or in shelterbelts(designed to slow wind erosion). Lots of wheat fields. Rut is going strong in sw. My daughter killed a 146" buck that weighed 250 on the hoof on Sunday morning in southwest ok.

It'll be my first trip. All I know is around Arnett. It will for sure be different than what I'm used to in West Texas. Looking forward to it though.

Have fun. You should see quite a few deer. Arnett is about 80 miles north of where we hunt. I prefer to hunt ridges where wheat or alfalfa fields transition to knee to waist high native grasslands. The other evening I watched from 800 yds, as my 8 yr old son shot a doe from about 65 yds in a corner, where 2 wheat fields were separated by a waterway of Johnsongrass and weeds. Adjacent to the field is native grass. You don't have glass hundreds of acres at the same time. Keep an eye on transitions, corners, small blocks of overgrown weeds and small trees, ditches, edges of wheat fields, etc.

Good luck to ya.' Western Oklahoma is my favorite place to hunt. I know everybody talks about my home state of Kansas for big deer, but Oklahoma bucks haunt my dreams. :)

Thanks, for the luck. The hunting of new territory is well worth the trip alone. Haven't been this excited in a while. Even more so with the replies.

waiting on your report. i hunt an hour south west of there, just north of Lawton OK. Big bucks running everywhere last week.
SnT

Open fields, rolling hills with trees and brush in the lower creeks. You'll get a mixture of mulies and white tails depended how west you push. Not sure there are sand spurs where you live, but they are everywhere there. I fell once dragging a buck out and landed open palmed on the ground. I think the last needle of those stupid things finally made it out a month later.

I miss hunting Oklahoma everyday. Killed some good bucks when I lived there. Here's my best one, took him with a bow at 17 yds.
8383EF65-90BB-45D4-AF1C-A8AFB53F6E9D.jpeg
51ECD33B-2486-4871-980A-75DAB164905F.jpeg

Open fields, rolling hills with trees and brush in the lower creeks. You'll get a mixture of mulies and white tails depended how west you push. Not sure there are sand spurs where you live, but they are everywhere there. I fell once dragging a buck out and landed open palmed on the ground. I think the last needle of those stupid things finally made it out a month later.

I miss hunting Oklahoma everyday. Killed some good bucks when I lived there. Here's my best one, took him with a bow at 17 yds.
View attachment 161729 View attachment 161730

Nice buck!

I've not hunted much west of Hinton but I've drove through those parts before. You should have a great time out there, I was prepared for 200 yard shots when I went because that's what the guys taking me said to be ready for. Turns out I had over 1200 yards of shooting alley around the food plot.... I brought a light 308 and watched one of the biggest bucks I had ever seen meander across the field for what felt like an eternity at about 800 yards then took two fat does at less than 15 yards.

Out of four of us from Texas, my stepson killed a 152". We all pasted on average bucks looking for the big one. And yes you can certainly stretch a shot of there. I had a great time with some great eats.

Attachments

• 847149BB-242C-4E04-8600-55AF8C087915.jpeg
    847149BB-242C-4E04-8600-55AF8C087915.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 155
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.