Planning a new build. 30 Nosler

Ua26fitter

I'm needing a new hunting rifle. I want it to be for deer, elk, bear, and Moose. After looking around and doing some research I think I'm going to have something custom built. It will be my second custom rifle.
In my digging amd reading I stumbled onto the 30 Nosler. I have a new Mauser FN 98 action that has been sitting in the safe for 13 years. I have a few questions.
Will I be able to load the 210 grain bullets and get them close to the lands and still fit in the box with this action?
I'm not afraid to do a little wild cat mods so would it be a benefit to build it as a 30-26 Nosler for that little bit of extra case capacity?
Im planning on a 26" 1-10 twist fluted Hart or Lilja barrel. I plan on this being my primary hunting rifle that will be used when hiking and being on foot for days at a time so I'll probably have the barrel made with a light contour.
I haven't decided on the Optics and probably won't until the rifle is done. Not sure on a stock yet but I know I don't want wood.
Any suggestions? Anything I'm missing or going down the wrong path on? I want to do it right.

After doing a Few more hrs of digging I'm leaning towards a 30/28 Nosler due to being easier to form the neck for 30. How much advantage is the slightly larger 28 case than the 30? I'm planning too shoot the 210 ABLR or 208 AMAX due too having them on hand for other rifles but I'm not set 100% on those.
I also read about using 338 RUM brass to make the cases due to lower cost of the brass. How much work is it? I don't mind the extra work if its not crazy.

Kris

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts