Pillar bedded my XP-100R 223

nomo4me

Please note:
- This is a handgun with escutcheons for both front and rear action screws. One cannot use the usual pillar bedding posts or other aids.
- I am not a pro and do not present this as saleable or expert work. I'm sure there are better ways to do each of these steps. If you wanna post how you'd have done some particular aspect differently that's fine by me.

Onto the project:
The foam fill McMillan used for the action fill of these stocks is soft enough to dent with the fingernail so............

For those of you not familiar with an XP-100R, they were made in 1998 and stocked by McMillan.
IMG_4113.jpg

Brownells adjustable pillars are superglued in place after carefully adjusting for length. Straw sections will help keep epoxy from flowing up into the core of the pillars. They are cut short and will press into the core when the action is seated into the stock. Some epoxy still did get into the core which made me glad I caked the action screws and threads with wax before screwing it together.
XP-100R223bedding001.jpg

The foam is so soft on this stock that it's a simple matter to poke a 5/8" butterfly bit through it. Just stop when you feel resistance of bit spinning on the escutcheons.
XP-100R223bedding002.jpg

I tried something new for this job: Took one of the Brownells medium sized syringes and drilled the spout out from the rear with an 8" long 1/8 drill bit. Worked perfectly! I used it like a cake decorators tool to flow epoxy in just the right qtys wherever I wanted. I used Marine Tex for this project because I knew it would flow out of the 1/8" drilled tip. I came out so easily that I think Devcon would also work with this technique.
XP-100R223bedding004.jpg

Marine Tex applied and ready to seat the action. Using the syringe was so much faster, neater and more efficient than trying to paddle it on with a popsickle stick.
XP-100R223bedding005.jpg

Got me one of those pump-top dispensers and loaded it up with Acetone. Worth the $17 and then some.
XP-100R223bedding006.jpg

Tape was laid exactly at the stock line then waxed for easy cleanup. Stock is waxed to of course.
XP-100R223bedding007.jpg

Reaching a Q-tip in to ensure no epoxy has oozed up into the lug area through the forward screw hole.
XP-100R223bedding008.jpg

Tools. Vinegar works well to clean your hands of epoxy and saves exposure to acetone
XP-100R223bedding010.jpg

This 5/8" badger hair artists brush lays down a perfectly thin layer of wax. I was easily able to paint wax onto the receiver bottom without getting any onto the base of the pillar.
XP-100R223bedding011.jpg

The finished job
XP-100R223bedding012.jpg

Last edited:
I got a chance to shoot it today at 100 yds and received an immediate reminder that I am very green at trying to shoot small groups from the bench with a SP.

Groups looked like this with a relaxed hold:

XP-100R223bedding044.jpg

I then tried a firmer hold and forward loading the legs of the bipod a bit and got groups like this:

XP-100R223bedding045.jpg

It's a good shooter, but the muzzle jump is annoying. I don't know if I can have a brake fit to the factory bbl without ruining the accuracy.

The last group shown is what the gun is capable of, but it has no brake or magnaporting so jumps a good deal when shot - ie it's hold sensitive.

I shot some apples at 200 yds with it Saturday, bits flying 20' high was pretty entertaining. Maybe PD's next spring.

Looks like good groups to me. What are you going to shoot with it?

recently found one of these in 22-250. will have to see how the bedding is set up and perhaps make some improvements. nice pics.

Good job. I, for one, am not a big fan of the foam core stocks from McMillan, but you're bedding job looks fine.

Remember, good hold, a little forward pressure on bipod, and watch the shot break through the scope. And if using a riflescope, back up a couple of inches until all you see is the center of the target. Scope eye hurts.

Larry
Tinkerer

have always wanted an XP100, but want the early single shot model. I shoot a T/C in .222 with a 15" Wilson barrel. I opted for the national match chamber and a .246 neck. It'll push a 52 grain Sierra to about 2700fps without too much trouble, and groups in the mid to high sixes. I've found that most 22 centerfire pistols are very picky about bullets for some odd ball reason, and flat based bullets seem to group better for me. Mine has the 1:14 twist barrel, and really wish it was a 1:12 or better yet a 1:10 twist. Have had pretty good luck with H322 and BLC2 with XM2015BR right behind it. Got a can of N133 to try whenever I get the notion with some 50 grain bullets that have a lower B/C. It's a lot of fun busting crows out to about 220 yards. (not much left after a hit) I've had better luck shooting all my pistols off bags than with a bipod. Specially the barrels that generate a lot of recoil (.357 Herrett, 35 remington, and .445 Supermag).
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.