pairing up a savage LRH in 6.5x284 with a leupold vx-6 3.18x50 cds

candafish

so the gun is on its way and the scope just got ordered. I have always used leupold bases and rings on all my other guns but have been reading a lot about the picatany rails to make sure i have enough room to dial up to 1000 yds. Is this the way i need to go or can i stick with standard bases and rings? thanks in advance, chris

so the gun is on its way and the scope just got ordered. I have always used leupold bases and rings on all my other guns but have been reading a lot about the picatany rails to make sure i have enough room to dial up to 1000 yds. Is this the way i need to go or can i stick with standard bases and rings? thanks in advance, chris

Go with 20 MOA rail (i.e.EGW) and Burris signature see rings with inserts and you're golden.

I've got a Savage model 11 Predator Hunter in 6.5 CM and put a Weaver Picatinny rail and Burris zee rings with the Nikon 3-9-40 scope. Fits good. Be sure to tighten everything to torque specs. 35 inch lbs. on the bases, 35 inch lbs. on the rings to base and 25 inch lbs. on top rings to hold scope. Also you might have to cut the front of the base about 1/2 inch depending on how far back you want your scope.

I've got a Savage model 11 Predator Hunter in 6.5 CM and put a Weaver Picatinny rail and Burris zee rings with the Nikon 3-9-40 scope. Fits good. Be sure to tighten everything to torque specs. 35 inch lbs. on the bases, 35 inch lbs. on the rings to base and 25 inch lbs. on top rings to hold scope. Also you might have to cut the front of the base about 1/2 inch depending on how far back you want your scope.

I too have Savage 11 (FCNS in .300WSM) with 20 MOA EGW HD and Burris signature zee rings with inserts; no cutting is required.

SWFA%205-25x50%20SS%20HDFPP%202%20of%203_zps5ho6ngc8.jpg

FEENIX, your set up looks solid, what kind of scope is on your rig? The bell on my scope would not come back far enough without touching the base so I had to cut about 1/2 inch off the front of the base to get the eye relieve needed.

So i went with a vx 6 3-18x50 30mm tube with the cds. i was hoping to get away from the rail. i have read that the rail can cause problems for ejection and reloading in a hunting situation. with a 30 mm scope, do i need the 20 moa base?

No problems with ejection or loading. If you empty your rifle while hunting and need to reload,you really need to practice shooting more. LOL

I use Ken Farrell,Weaver,and EGW rails on all my Savage rifles,as well as Burris Signature Zee Rings on all of my optics. They are hard to beat!
A set of Medium rings works just fine. I'd get a 20 moa base for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.