Packing Ammunition for Flying

nksmfamjp

TSA says:
  • Small arms ammunition (up to .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge) must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood, plastic, or metal box specifically designed to carry ammunition and declared to your airline.

American Airlines says:
In the original packaging from the manufacturer or in packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition (made of fiber, wood or metal), with a maximum of 11 pounds (5 kgs) per container or customer. Ammunition is not accepted loose or in magazines or clips.

Delta says:
  • Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic or metal boxes and provide separation for cartridges

So, I have flown Delta without issue. Reloaded ammo packed in plastic reloading boxes. Is American going to be an issue? What is your experience? Please name the approximate year, airline name, and result.

me:
2017-2019 Delta No issue with plastic boxes. They have seen the plastic boxes packed securely in my rifle case with no concern.

I rarely fly with anyone other than Delta or American. I've never had an issue on either with plastic boxes. Last flight was on American September of last year. It sounds like it's technically against their policy, but I'm not going to stop doing it. The odds of you running into anyone at bag drop who actually knows what they're looking at are incredibly slim. They probably won't even know which box is ammo. TSA won't care, as long as you follow their rules they don't care about specific airline policies.

If they're reloads it is technically the original manufacturer's packaging. If you're worried about it print a label, slap it on, and tell them the manufacturer packed it that way.

Some airlines won't let you put ammo in your gun case. Delta and American both allow it.

Check TSA web site and then the airline you are flying web site for latest information. Regs and airline policy are always changing.

AA's policy as of 4 Aug 23...
"Ammunition must be:

In the original packaging from the manufacturer or in packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition (made of fiber, wood or metal), with a maximum of 11 pounds (5 kgs) per container or customer. Ammunition is not accepted loose or in magazines or clips."

Your handloads in a MTM plastic box (like this one) are fine on AA. And plastic is classified as a fiber...but good luck if you get THAT ticket agent who is clueless that plastic is a fiber when checking your bag with ammo in a plastic box.

Last edited:
I have flown a fair amount and always declare a pistol in my luggage. It doesn't necessarily make a difference on the airline but on the airport you are flying out of. Some larger airports in the west are used to seeing firearms/ammo so it isn't a big deal (Phoenix, Salt Lake City,). Others had more of an issue (Huntsville, Jackson, WY). I have shown my firearm/ammo at the check in counter, only to be called out of the seating area to meet an officer and go through my bag, just because someone in the back room doesn't like guns so they wanted me to be checked out. My experience is it depends on who is working that day.

When I fly, I pack my handloads in 20 round ammo boxes that store bought ammo came in. Why risk a flight delay or worse?

On my international hunts I usually pack in a plastic ammo cartridge carton (like you would put your reloads in like a MTM box--then back in a lockable pelican case (1170) and i put it in my checked luggage--I've never had a problem in the 13 international hunts I've had.

This is why I save a few factory boxes and re-use them. For the most part, you are fine with MTM cases, but for me, it's just as easy to use an old factory box.