Pack Goats

The farm I was at the other day had Alpine, Toggenburg, Saanen, Nubian, and maybe one other kind.

Which of any of those kinds would be a good breed for pack goats? on this thread someone said stay away from lop eared ones, which the nubian are.

Dan

The largest breed is the Saanan. The bucks that mine are by look to be at least 300 pounds. I bought two 90 pounders. Kept the larger one. By the first of summer he should reach 150 and be able to pack very lightly. There is a good chance of bone deformation if packed under 3 years.

The Saanan is said to have the best all around temperament of all of them. I really like my 165 pound Alpine doe. She's kind of like a horse when it's time to catch her. And she knows when it's time to catch her. She is 3 1/2 yrs, comes from a dairy show goat farm and is a well broke goat.:rolleyes:

A goat is said to pack one third their weight all day. So I went with Saanan first.

It is said that Nubians are lazy. Thus I shun them. However, my 200 pounder of a questionable Nubian cross is a keeper. I think he' off in the head a touch but he fits in pretty good. He's uglier than sin and is of unknown age with some kind of a lump on :his gut which doesn't seem to bother him. And he was free.:D

3 goats will pack all my stuff except for the long range rifle, optics ect. Plus a 4'x4' size trailer is about perfect for 3 goats.

I will most probably add another goat to the string so I won't have to pack any thing except snacks and drink.

Healing is pretty boring. . . Got some energy the other day and put together some goat coats. Figger'd they would be cool is the evening and night got a bit on the wet side.

Was a fun project.

The goats were well pleased.

Hey ya gotta be well dressed if you're gonna hunt with me.:D

Attachments

• IMG_2600.JPG
    IMG_2600.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 120
Healing is pretty boring. . . Got some energy the other day and put together some goat coats. Figger'd they would be cool is the evening and night got a bit on the wet side.

Was a fun project.

The goats were well pleased.

Hey ya gotta be well dressed if you're gonna hunt with me.:D

Nice goin', Roy! How is the healing coming anyway? Seems like I know lots of folks on the mend right now...

8581004333_57ffc5f4d5_z_d.jpg

How are these Oberhasli (is that the right breed--best I could remember) for packing? The gal I saw with them while bear hunting a couple of years ago thought they'd be great.

Obers are a common choice for packing.

Their popularity has a lot to do with them looking kinda like an elk or at least looking like they belong in the mountains. :)

Get. Them as large as you can. I have a 165 pound Alpine doe with a great amount of determination. She'll pack 50-55 pounds all day. I try to pack her @ no more than 45 pounds.

I'm thinking 180 pounds plus would be optimum. The 195 pounder is as strong as a horse but seems a bit shy of a full load. :)

8581004333_57ffc5f4d5_z_d.jpg

How are these Oberhasli (is that the right breed--best I could remember) for packing? The gal I saw with them while bear hunting a couple of years ago thought they'd be great.

I picked Obers because of their personality, agility, athleticism, agility, and because they look cool. They seemed to be the best compliment of all the qualities. Mine will top out at around 200 lbs. Other goat breeds have them beat by 50 to 100 lbs. But I am ok with the minimal gain in packing weight.

Dang - I'm not too far from Roy or Packgoatguy - I need to check these critters out.

My wife will kill me. :D

Dang - I'm not too far from Roy or Packgoatguy - I need to check these critters out.

My wife will kill me. :D

Packgoatguy is selling out. Moving. Has 6 experienced goats with all equipment for 550 each.

His ad is on craigslist. Rigby.

I tho't I posted this once. Maybe not.:rolleyes:

Just spent the afternoon making a stand (kind of a squeeze chute thinger :rolleyes:)

Have to trim hooves a couple of times a year and goats are too close to the ground. For that matter horses are too close to the ground. Put shoes on a couple and got over that task pretty quick.

I'll post a pic when I get a goat to climb up in it. :D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes: Otta make a decent AFV video.:rolleyes:

Packgoatguy is selling out. Moving. Has 6 experienced goats with all equipment for 550 each.

His ad is on craigslist. Rigby.

I tho't I posted this once. Maybe not.:rolleyes:

Just spent the afternoon making a stand (kind of a squeeze chute thinger :rolleyes:)

Have to trim hooves a couple of times a year and goats are too close to the ground. For that matter horses are too close to the ground. Put shoes on a couple and got over that task pretty quick.

I'll post a pic when I get a goat to climb up in it. :D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes: Otta make a decent AFV video.:rolleyes:

Yeah, Roy, I don't want a picture, I want to see a video of this process!

Finished up the goat hoof trimming stand. Pretty outrageous after looking at the puny little milking stands. :rolleyes:

It came together quite well.:) Scrounged junk lumber and stuff. Just used what I had laying around.

Made no trips to town or to neighbors to get stuff. Major success, I'd say. :)

The troops were on high alert when I hauled the thing down to the pasture gate. I suppose they were wondering what the old man was up to this time. . .

Note the similarity to the French head head choppin' gizmo. I figgered if one of 'em gave me trouble I'd turn 'em into taco meat. . . Had the machete readily available. :)

The process worked flawlessly. Three goats feet trimmed in about 20 minutes with no back pain.

No wrecks. No loss of temper. No nothing. Simply hold a can of sweet feed in front of them then dump in into the container in front. Simple as that!

First was the youngest/smallest. No problems.
Next was the milk goat doe. Again no problem. No pic though.
Finely the 195 pounder. Again no problem.
Lead 'em in the back and open the front when done. I'm liking this. . .

Attachments

• IMG_2620.JPG
    IMG_2620.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2621.JPG
    IMG_2621.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 108
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.