Pack Goats

Movin' on to fully equine transportation.

3 good pack goats for sale.

2- 4yr old La Manchas. Good size experienced and ready to go.
1- long yearling Saanan. Gonna be bigger than either La Manchas. Experienced but a bit to young to pack more than the Mountain House meals.

Panniers for all 3. One of the pannier set ups is plastic buckets for packing meat.

Pack saddles for each with separate pad for one and glued on pads on the other two.

International orange raincoats for each.

If you have a short box pickup I've made a stock rack kind of thing that I'll throw in.

These guys jump in the pickup at both ends of the trip. I bribe 'em a little oats once in a while.

Easy keepers a ton of decent alfalfa carries over to next year. The crappier the pasture the better. My pasture is some good grass, some wire grass and tons of weeds. Works great.

Lock stock and barrel for $500.00.

I know they are sure footed..and just live to get up high eg on the cab of your new pick up.It is true , game doesn't shy as easily from 4 legged types as easily. I have a question though.Who is the guy inthe short pants? Being a hayseed myself, just don't get the short pants in the bush thing.Have fun anyways.Cheers

I know they are sure footed..and just live to get up high eg on the cab of your new pick up.It is true , game doesn't shy as easily from 4 legged types as easily. I have a question though.Who is the guy inthe short pants? Being a hayseed myself, just don't get the short pants in the bush thing.Have fun anyways.Cheers

Haven't had the goat on the hood problem. . . yet. If I do I'll butcher the goat on the spot.

I want to replace them with another donk. I have a 13hh jenny located that would be nearly perfect. She'd pack as much as 3 goats and be better to get along with. Plus wouldn't have to by alfalfa for the goats and grass for the donks.

speaking of short pants. I just finished building a set of leather gaiters. Got the idea from the saddle maker that guided my through my build. He was a big game guide for 15 years for several good Idaho outfitters. Darn these things are nice. I'll post a pic. Nifty fringe and all….

I wear them with short pants on my mosquito infested shooting range out back.

Not only will I be the slowest fella on the mountain, I'll be the best dressed.:D

No worries.

How come you got rid of them?

As it turns out I didn't get rid of them. The fella called this morning and backed out.

Reason to get rid of them is convenience only. Things like have to feed them alfalfa and the donk grass is is spot of bother.

I was going to replace them with another mammoth john or jenny which would pack as much or a little more than 3 goats.

I picked up a 2 horse trailer today that has the divider removed and the two rear doors replaced with a single door. Pretty much a stock trailer. I'll shove the jack and goats in and take off.

I have the complete goat packing setup plus saddle panniers for the jack so I won't have to pack anything and hike pretty light.

I'll be heading out next week to ride a cattle range for a week and test things out. From then on it's scouting trips in prep for archery elk and wolf. My son in law is the archer and I pack the rifles.

If I can see a wolf in the scope and get a range I'm gonna take the shot.

I admit that I have not read all 34 previous pages to this thread, so I apologize in advance if this question has already been addressed.

How do the goats behave when there is gun fire?

I admit that I have not read all 34 previous pages to this thread, so I apologize in advance if this question has already been addressed.

How do the goats behave when there is gun fire?

Depending on proximity to the muzzle and direction of fire reactions range from:

- No reaction
- Drop head and shake ears and walk a few steps
- Become alert and attempt to determine where "that" came from.
- Never had one run

Had one goat that when I announced "Fire in the Hole" he'd head for the shed and stick his head out the door.

The larger the rifle the larger the reaction. The 375 Allen Mag.

If in the mountains and doing long range shooting, I quietly announce "fire in the hole" and they move a few feet away if they are too close.

I've had them sniffing the scope when the shot went off and not much happened. That was when they were younger and dumber.

They train quite easily, as long as you don't try to force the issue and use a little patience.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.