+P chambers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it just the +p throat portion of this barrel that was bad, or the whole thing fire cracked? If a guy had a 30 xc with a standard throat pushing the same size bullet the same speeds as the 300 rum +p does that void the warranty?

I get that it's your business and you can do what you want but are we going to have to check with bartlein like a suppressor manufacturer to see if the cartridge we want to run is acceptable to you? What if it was a 308+p that went in 600 rounds (nope it was a +p not our problem)?
You're right. Bartlein barrels are, and always have been, suspect.

You're right. Bartlein barrels are, and always have been, suspect.
Hasn't been my experience. Lots of pro smiths will vouch for them. It's pretty much all Kirby Allen will put on his hyper-velocity magnum builds anymore. Warranting a barrel is tough. So many unverifiable user factors that go into how they last. I'm sure @tracybartlein knows what he's seeing and talking about.

Hasn't been my experience. Lots of pro smiths will vouch for them. It's pretty much all Kirby Allen will put on his hyper-velocity magnum builds anymore. Warranting a barrel is tough. So many unverifiable user factors that go into how they last. I'm sure @tracybartlein knows what he's seeing and talking about.
Winner Winner chicken dinner!!

Was it just the +p throat portion of this barrel that was bad, or the whole thing fire cracked? If a guy had a 30 xc with a standard throat pushing the same size bullet the same speeds as the 300 rum +p does that void the warranty?

I get that it's your business and you can do what you want but are we going to have to check with bartlein like a suppressor manufacturer to see if the cartridge we want to run is acceptable to you? What if it was a 308+p that went in 600 rounds (nope it was a +p not our problem)?
You are welcome to your opinion, but coming at Bartlein without facts or experience visibly displayed is going to bring out the homers, me included. Bartlein has made many of us a superbly accurate barrel or many.

There are always bad barrel stories, but they are often borescope stories or after chambering…..now here we are talking about a very experimental throat design that no accuracy competitor is using….hmm.

It's a bit like the accuracy improvements of CF…..really? Who is winning with it?

I'd like to see 10 6PPC barrels spun up 5 +p and 5 std. shoot 50 shots from each barrel. Who wins? or use 300 PRC, if you need a big bore.

What opinion did I have? I'm pretty sure I just asked a question that was similar to yours so???

How would I have the facts it wasn't my barrel that went to the way of the dodo. Seems like a simple answer for a barrel manufacturer to answer with a couple of pictures but hey what do I know.

What opinion did I have? I'm pretty sure I just asked a question that was similar to yours so???

How would I have the facts it wasn't my barrel that went to the way of the dodo. Seems like a simple answer for a barrel manufacturer to answer with a couple of pictures but hey what do I know.
I get where you're coming from. When I'm planning a build for a hotrod case, I like to shoot the breeze with Bartlein to discuss it and the best factors to incorporate into a barrel for my application. It sure doesn't hurt to have that conversation - email or on the phone. I like email for reference personally and gives them time and space to respond at their convenience. Patience is a big word in the industry. It usually pays off. 😉

If I did videos on youtube about stuff like this.... I've got a lot of material to use! LOL!
You have a wealth of hard earned experience. I think this crowd would love to see some of the train wrecks that have come through your shop - so we can try not to be part of that parade! I'm a happy customer of yours that tries not to do stupid things.

DE's +P value is going to be an individual perspective thing. Not a good fit for high volume shooters but some possible advantages for long range hunting rigs running very low mileage. I agree it is only fair for a barrel manufacturer to withdraw warranty on mods like this.

The idea is to help ease the long heavy bullets into rotation at higher velocity without excessive stress on the jacket from deep land engraving. Possible velocity gains of +/- 150 fps. It offers performance gains but typically significant loss of accuracy life. It's not possible to easily set the barrel back to clean up the throats if needed, and the lands of the rifle in much of the throat length is quite shallow compared to the conventional height of lands.
Hmmm - leads me to believe that gain twist might be more effective a solution without the loss of barrel life.

You have a wealth of hard earned experience. I think this crowd would love to see some of the train wrecks that have come through your shop - so we can try not to be part of that parade! I'm a happy customer of yours that tries not to do stupid things.
I agree. Some photos/videos of issues would make us all better informed about impact and consequence of various modifications and practices.

Hmmm - leads me to believe that gain twist might be more effective a solution without the loss of barrel life.
That's the idea behind the gain-twist concept. Never tried it myself, but it's an interesting idea. @tracybartlein could probably speak to its benefits or tell us if it's one of those myths. 😉

I needed sarcasm font, apparently.

I'm with Northkill i didn't see any sarcasm either which is usually the case in bad barrel threads
Seems Tumble after his thread got shot down here went over to rokslide and created a **** storm over there.
This is why stuff like this should NEVER be aired out on forums and why humor never works.
Bullet threads usually end up the same way.

I needed sarcasm font, apparently.

Yes, you really did need sarcasm font, because I did not get it was sarcasm either. It can be very hard to convey intent, sarcasm,, humour on these threads.
Having been married a long time. I've had plenty of time to practice knowing what someone is thinking.
I knew it was sarcastic the instant I read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.