"Over the counter" 338 Lapua Rounds

fish850

Hey All,

Awhile back some of you gave me some much appreciated feedback on my large caliber selction....so my .338 Sav 110 FCP HS has arrived at the shop and I need to purchase some ammo. I do intend to reload at some point but currently do not have the correct reloading setup. I need to purchase at least 80 rounds for an upcoming event, although I seriousy doubt I will make it through all 80.

Anyway, I'd like to accomplish two things with the purchase of this ammo: 1) The load and bullet is ideal for Elk, and 2) Good brass that can be reloaded as much as possible or at least that I am capable. Obviously intention being that I become familiar enough with this over the counter stuff to hunt with until I too can dial in some custom behind the counter stuff. I have heard folks referring to several different bulltet types working well through the LM, however I am not sure if you can buy these Bergers, etc. loaded? Best place to go looking for the stuff if the above goals are possible?

Thanks in advance for any guidance, and thanks again for the generosity in helping a newbee LR'er get started!

-J

I should add that this event will require 1000 yard shots/target. Not expecting to take an Elk right off at that range, and just about any round out of the LM would do some serious damage, however a good hunting bullet is what I am looking for....

with a LM you will ruin a lot of meat at most ranges excluding maybe the 800+ club...

No need for a fancy rifle, the 270 Win/WSM or 30/06 or 7mm Rem Mag will do just fine.

Save some money go buy a savage rifle in some normal caliber use that for an elk gun until you need the energy of a 338 (Wayy Down Range).

Here in colorado if you pulled out a 110 BA we would all laugh our a** off at you and watch how you come back with a few hamburgers while we come back with a years supply of meat.

Im not sure but there might be some lighter bullets that are loaded to a lower velocity but still not sure it would be an efficient elk gun at shorter ranges.

Dont take this as knocking on you, a lot of people go buy some fancy gun shoot an animal and realize their gun is better suited for target practice and shooting through mason bricks.

The 338 LM is one of the best rounds out there and is super accurate but is worthless up close.

(Bet ill take some heat for this post)

kcp0pph, thanks for the insight. Certainly the worst feedback I have ever received about the LM for Elk. You must have shot alot of Elk to know that a LM will reduce it to hamburger, and certainly I want years supply of meat like you are stating so I will take your advice into account.

I have always found that a well placed shot will not destroy much meat at all. However I have not put a well placed shot on an Elk before with a LM. I have also experienced that a poorly placed shot may wound an animal, and is usually in the "meat." Hopefully that second shot is a well placed shot that does not make the situation worse and probably destory more meat. That is of course unless the 1st poorly placed shot still knocked down the animal.

But then again I have not made a poor shot on an elk with a LM, nor do I ever intend to. I have never made a shot where the oven was not readily accessible, but then again I also dont have meat in the freezer every year.

Then again alot of calibers would probably cause serious damage on a bad shot, close or long.

Having said this I do own both an .06 and 270 Win. I do plan on bringing the 270 Win in case I am in the thick the whole time, and have more of a chance of close range encounters. The LR hunting style/ability can be a bit different from what I have gathered, where the terrain being covered can be selected and covered in a bit different way. I dont know because this is my first attempt.

Again, thanks for the insight. I'll look forward to other current, present, or otherwise knoweldgable folks to answer if they think I might be able to solve the goals I have with my LM ammo selection.

Thanks!

-J

As far as target ammo i would suggest trying a few brands and seeing what they will do.

I am not that experianced of an elk hunter, mainly deer. This year im going to make sure to get my first LR elk, i should be using a 7x300 wby mag (a wildcat).

Just got back from my shooting land today, the rifle added 3 more prairie dogs at 650 yards :)

I will recommend lots of practice and unless you are well off you should get into reloading asap. You CAN NOT expect to hit something at LR unless you practice. I have been doing it for about 6 months now and still have troubles hitting a gong at about 1000 yards cold bore.

Lapua brass is a favorite around here. I do not know about 338 LM but everyone loves Lapua brass.

Someone will chime in who has a LM and tell you the brass to use.

As far as bullets stay with the 300gn SMK/VLD unless you want to go with a more expensive bullet like the CE 252's (I have some i need to get rid of). Higher BC the better.

HSM Trophy Gold ammo 300 gr Berger VLD bullets in either HSM or Lapua brass.

Not sure about the rest of the country but this 338 LM ammo sells about as fast as it hits the shelves in this part of Colorado and 300 gr 338 bullets are always sold out so it appears there are those that are not worried about being laughed at when the they pull out their LR rigs...

Jack

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.