options

ARlife4me

Looking to do a 6.5prc in ar10 and limited to 2.830ish length and will be limiting 135's and under to fit well and not sit deep in the case.

Now the options
Option 1: Buy loaded and remove powder and bullet (save bullet for other 26cals) and load for what is necessary.
Option 2: Buy brass and use primers on hand for loads.
Option 3: If there's a 3rd

Add case and primers together and cost could be neat $1.50/per, so the loss of powder is acceptable. When 20 rounds can cost $1.50-2.50 I think it's an acceptable way to go. Throat will hopefully not be as short, so there won't be a .300 jump or more. I still want the .297 neck, but not set for 2.990 coal.

How do you plan on putting a 6.5 PRC in an AR10? I know the case length can fit, but who sells a bolt with the magnum boltface, and are you using a different barrel extension? I'm also curious if the ejection port will need to be expanded as they do on the AR15s for the 458 socom/50 Beowulf/450 bushmaster. Sorry, so many questions, but an interesting project.

How do you plan on putting a 6.5 PRC in an AR10? I know the case length can fit, but who sells a bolt with the magnum boltface, and are you using a different barrel extension? I'm also curious if the ejection port will need to be expanded as they do on the AR15s for the 458 socom/50 Beowulf/450 bushmaster. Sorry, so many questions, but an interesting project.
KAK sells a bcg along with upper having an enlarged ejection port door. Several companies will chamber for it. The case is shorter than a wsm and I can still load to 2.830" (maybe a hair more). I'll have it short throated or almost no throat, so it's not way long. I'm only shooting up to 135's.

KAK sells a bcg along with upper having an enlarged ejection port door. Several companies will chamber for it. The case is shorter than a wsm and I can still load to 2.830" (maybe a hair more). I'll have it short throated or almost no throat, so it's not way long. I'm only shooting up to 135's.
Nice, I'll have to look into that. I'm interested to follow your project.

Nice, I'll have to look into that. I'm interested to follow your project.
I'm hoping to have throat length options. I might have to do a dummy round and send to whomever makes it. With bullet selection I'll be using I'll need to do some ogive measuring (ctbo) and check against coal measurements for mag lengths. I have uni-throaters in 24, 26, 30 and 33, so I can lengthen if necessary. What would be a good choice in where to start on freebore? Howabout where the dummy round touches the lands as I could always lengthen. Then shoot some custom loads from 100-135gr and adjust freebore from there or.............? I just don't want to go to long as you can't undo what was done.

Lots of factors to consider, I've often read people throating for the specific bullet they want to use. While there's merit to that, I prefer to leave options open given component availability these days. In my creedmoor, the 100gr ELD-Ms are barely in the case mouth to get them within a few thousandths from the lands. Infact I can pluck out the bullet with my fingers with ease. In this case it would be nice for no freebore as I like their performance on squirrels/prairie dogs, but then I would have to really set the 130s and up deep. I guess I'd start with getting a mag length and seating a few dummy rounds to that length with the varieth of bullets you want to use. Will all the bullets seat sufficiently in the neck at that length? If they all don't seat far enough in I'd adjust the dummy rounds to an acceptable seating depth Then I'd get out the case base to ogive tool and take some measurements. Then I'd look for an acceptable throat length (0-whatever) that could accomodate them all... For example you may need to seat the 135s deeper than you might usually to be at zero freebore, but it leaves the 100gr. pills seated in the neck deep enough to still be within acceptable distances. I may be suggesting what you've already written above. Are you planning on hunting with this, varmints, targets? Or all of the above? These AR10s can be beasts when all set up, I have taken mine on a couple walks for deer, but I much prefer it off a bench or prone shooting small things a long way off. I guess the point to that is I'd work within the intended use bullet wise as well. I've been pretty happy with the 130 TMK, though I can't find any currently so I'm gonna see how the 130 ELD-Ms do in comparison. Like I said I loved the 100's for their explosive performance, but have to either seat them too far out, or jump them quite a ways.

Lots of factors to consider, I've often read people throating for the specific bullet they want to use. While there's merit to that, I prefer to leave options open given component availability these days. In my creedmoor, the 100gr ELD-Ms are barely in the case mouth to get them within a few thousandths from the lands. Infact I can pluck out the bullet with my fingers with ease. In this case it would be nice for no freebore as I like their performance on squirrels/prairie dogs, but then I would have to really set the 130s and up deep. I guess I'd start with getting a mag length and seating a few dummy rounds to that length with the varieth of bullets you want to use. Will all the bullets seat sufficiently in the neck at that length? If they all don't seat far enough in I'd adjust the dummy rounds to an acceptable seating depth Then I'd get out the case base to ogive tool and take some measurements. Then I'd look for an acceptable throat length (0-whatever) that could accomodate them all... For example you may need to seat the 135s deeper than you might usually to be at zero freebore, but it leaves the 100gr. pills seated in the neck deep enough to still be within acceptable distances. I may be suggesting what you've already written above. Are you planning on hunting with this, varmints, targets? Or all of the above? These AR10s can be beasts when all set up, I have taken mine on a couple walks for deer, but I much prefer it off a bench or prone shooting small things a long way off. I guess the point to that is I'd work within the intended use bullet wise as well. I've been pretty happy with the 130 TMK, though I can't find any currently so I'm gonna see how the 130 ELD-Ms do in comparison. Like I said I loved the 100's for their explosive performance, but have to either seat them too far out, or jump them quite a ways.
P dogs are fun to shoot, especially with a high velocity 140gr bullet (264wm). Most look like they swallowed a grenade. I'll need to run a ctbo on what bullets I'd be using just to see where in the case they'd be. Boattail in the shoulder would be the objective on why I would only use that would apply. Maybe I'll seat them a little deeper and check how the like "x" amount of jump? I have a modified 6.5prc case and I'll spend some time doing the math and see where it takes me.