.308 options....

robtattoo

I apologise in advance, I realise this question doesn't really pertain to anything resembling long range, but the folks here seseem to have more real world experience of bullet performance that anywhere else I can think of.

I'm headed out west for an elk hunt later this year & I've been told to expect shots at no farther than 300yds. Consequently I've decided to take along my ultralight .308

I've worked up 2 separate loads that are sub 1" at 100yds, but I'm struggling to decide which will perform the best on game.

Load 1: 150gn Hornady GMX at 2890fps
Load 2: 165gn Partition at 2680fps

I'll have my rifle sighted in 3" high at 100yds so both will still be in the vitals at 300. Bullet drop isn't a consideration.
Chances are, if I get a shot, it could very likely be as close as 50yds, but I won't take a shot beyond 300.

I've had good luck with the 165s in the past, but not on anything bigger than deer & hogs. The GMX is new to me, but has been highly recommended.
I've tried several different, heavier bullets (180 Barnes & Nosler) & couldn't get satisfactory accuracy.

If you had to pick one of the 2 loads, which would you go with?

I would go partition. Its a proven work horse. That aside I get the following number on energy,
150 GMX
2376 ft# @100
1686ft# @300

165 Partition is
2232ft# @100
1557ft# @300

130-140 Ft #'s difference, I have no GMX experience.

I like the partitions. Seem to be consistent in terms of how they shoot and perform consistently on game. My 257 Roberts likes them and it puts down large deer with more authority than I'd predict from its "numbers"

I'm in the partition crowd as well as long as rages are kept within 300 yards you should be in real good shape on any big game animal in the lower 48.

The 168 Berger classic hunter is pretty sweet as well.

Check out this read

.308 Winchester (7.62 NATO)

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.