Optimum Barrel Swist for 6PRC, 6CM or 6 dasher

johnthemc

I have a model 700 long range as donor for a build, not sure what to build and gathering information.
It will not be a hunting gun unless I occasionally take for varmints. I would like to get into long range out to 500 yds first and thinking about the calibers in the header.
Any information on barrels, calibers and twist is appreciated
Thank you

I have a model 700 long range as donor for a build, not sure what to build and gathering information.
It will not be a hunting gun unless I occasionally take for varmints. I would like to get into long range out to 500 yds first and thinking about the calibers in the header.
Thank you
Did not know about 6prc,where would a fellow find info on that.With that said ,newest " gotta have" is a 6mmgt or 6gt ,brass ,dies and prefit barrels on the shelves.

Honestly if you're not going to shoot copper solids and go with 6prc velocity, 7.5 twist will be plenty in my option, it's also somewhat dependant on altitude.

Consider the barrel life you expect.

Also, what distances are the bulk of your shooting?

6BR has probably won more 600 yard matches than anything else.

Consider buying a used not shot much 6BR benchrest rifle set up for F Class, go from there.

Batt, Panda right bolt, left port is pure joy to shoot.

No reason to go bigger than a Dasher stoked with 105 Bergers in an eight twist. Easily gets you to 1K with the best barrel life of those in question.

I put a 7 twist on my 6 Dasher hunting gun. I'm currently shooting the 103 ELD-X. But wanted the option to shoot Hammers as well. It's a very fun gun to shoot. 22" benchmark with a 3 port MBM brake. Drops are telling me I'm at 2910 FPS with 32 gr of Varget.

How are the 103's for accuracy from lot to lot. I can adjust for ogive length, no problem...speaking of accuracy. I have a few of the 105 A max left, then they are gone. Looking for a good bullet to replace them other than a Berger 105 vld hunting.

Thanks

I haven't done any measurements on the 103's. With my EH1 only showing up just before hunting season, it was a rush to get a hunting load. My barrel did shoot the Hornady better than the Berger 105 hunting. I'd still like to try the 105's again. Also for a 4-500 yd whitetail gun I don't need the consistency a match gun would.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.