Opinion on Muzzle Crown (Pics)

General RE LEE

Unfortunately today I got a .30 caliber patch stuck in the bore of my Tikka 308 CTR. I was able to tap the cleaning rod breech to muzzle but the patch didn't come out. I had to tap rid back out muzzle to breech with another rod.

Crown appears ok I haven't shot it yet. Anyone with a keen eye able to see if there was any damage?

Attachments

• D4511ADE-38C4-4C1C-9D19-3FE3CB287FB7.jpeg
    D4511ADE-38C4-4C1C-9D19-3FE3CB287FB7.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
I see nothing to be concerned with. Shoot it and see if it still shoots the same would be my recommendation. Good luck.

A common side effect of borescopes if over used is…..anxiety. Lol.
The anxiety is these cotton patches my local gun store carries for .30 caliber. They are too big and one got stuck.

There are difinitely issues with the Crown, Two different issues that I can see from the video. Find an Experienced Riflesmith and get him to machine an INDICATED Crown. Indicating is very important in keeping the crown concentric with the bore. I see Crooked beat up crowns come in my shop from Gunsmiths all the time that don't even own a Test indicator. Looks like that one was cut with a dull nail. Not trying to hurt your feelings. Just trying to help.

This Gunsmith Forum used to be where Riflesmiths like myself would help other shooters solve issues with their Rifles. Now its over run with guys that offer bad advice on issues they know nothing about. That's not the purpose of this forum. The Purpose of this forum is to help educate. Some of these shooters asking questions here don't have a local Rifle shop that they can take their rifle to be diagnosed.

Last edited:
There are difinitely issues with the Crown, Two different issues that I can see from the video. Find an Experienced Riflesmith and get him to machine an INDICATED Crown. Indicating is very important in keeping the crown concentric with the bore. I see Crooked beat up crowns come in my shop from Gunsmiths all the time that don't even own a Test indicator. Looks like that one was cut with a dull nail. Not trying to hurt your feelings. Just trying to help.

This Gunsmith Forum used to be where Riflesmiths like myself would help other shooters solve issues with their Rifles. Now its over run with guys that offer bad advice on issues they know nothing about. That's not the purpose of this forum. The Purpose of this forum is to help educate. Some of these shooters asking questions here don't have a local Rifle shop that they can take their rifle to be diagnosed.

I've been to the range 2x since I posted this. The rifle shoots better than I do.

The anxiety is these cotton patches my local gun store carries for .30 caliber. They are too big and one got stuck.
There are two simple solutions to thick patches.

1. Use a smaller jag, I do it all the time with thick patches.
2. "Side spike" the patch. Don't pierce the patch in the middle. Put the spike closer to the corner. The more you move away from the center, the looser the patch will be. Move it just enough.

UPDATE: Look here

From the video of the bore scope.
Looks like the barrel wasn't dialed in with a center rod to 0 . And either the tool was dull, Tool angle wrong or speed wrong. Looks like the tool was moving metal, Instead of shearing the metal clean. Take an inside measuring tool, Open it about 1/4" inside the barrel to groove, Then pull it straight out, Do you feel it crossing the crown edge? May tell the story.