opinion on length/twist for 6.5wsm

joshua99ta

I haven't been much into shooting in the last 8months or so due to my mentor and good friend, also member here, Eddybo went on to be with god.

But I'm getting back into it and I'm looking to build the rifle that we were talking about doing together with his tooling.

I just need to make up my mind on the length and twist. I'm thinking 1:8 finished @ 27" but I'm almost tempted to go to 29"

Its a rem 700 LA action, that I'll have trued locally @ DPR, and have them do the chambering etc. Krieger barrel, either 18 or varmint contour(found both blanks online ready to ship)

I run the WSM on a single shot short action. Bbl length is 29-30". I built the WSM for velocity, might as well get all you can by going with the longer barrel, right?

The 1-8" twist is your best bet. I went with the 1-8.4" as that is all I could get from Obermeyer. It still stabilizes the 160's but it has to be right on the ragged edge.

t

thanks. I see what your saying. I think I'm gunna go aheand and order a blank to finish @ 29" 1:8. I think Bruno's has one in stock to think about it.

29" length should be fine for max velocity. 30" won't give enough more velocity to be worth it.

The 1:8 twist is good for heavy bullets, which in turn are good for longer ranges. I like Bergers.

yeah I guess I should have added that I want to shoot the 140gr bergers, unless nosler decides to come out with a 140gr LRAB to try. I shoot bergers in everything I own/owned but my 6.8spc AR15.

With the case capacity of the WSM don't forget about the heavy for caliber bullets where the WSM will really shine.

Take a long hard look at the 150 & 160grn Matrix VLD's. Rocking G1 BC's over .650, the WSM shines on a whole new level.

t

yesir those are also a possibility! I'll be doing a 1:8 twist so I can can bigger later. Its the main point of building it on a long action. Load big, long bullets and still be able to use the magwell.

Josh,

I like your clever thinking on over-long action and especially the magazine for the cartridge so it will feed "over-long" cartridges with bullets of great BCs and G7 numbers.

Just be sure to configure your magazines so the spacer is in the front of the spring and ramp but still giving proper mag lip shape for good feed. A bit tricky but it can be done with patience, JB Weld and a file.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.