Opinion on 6mm bullets?

In my 6mmAI I started out with 500 Remington cases from the same lot (I used a fire forming barrel to not mess up a new barrel). My favorite bullet is the 107gr SMK with RL22. I also had pretty good luck with Berger 105gr VLD's
I had a batch of the old Hornady 105gr A-Max that would blow up coming out of the barrel, have not dared to try their new ELD's

A good alternative is Hornady 105 bthp. Cheaper than Berger's very accurate. The g1 is .5 bc not what is posted. Sub moa to a thousand. More forgiving in slower twist rate. Better availability usually.

Berger doesn't curreny make a 6mm 105 OTM.
105..... Hyb? BT target? VLD?

Out of your selections, I vote 105 Berger.
I shoot the 105 Hyb in my 1:7.5" 6CM. Awesome bullet. Works on steel and pronghorn/deer/coyote/javelina extremely well.
I also use the Berger 105gr VLDH here in New Zealand in my 243 1:8 26" barrel. Good out to 600/700 metres for goats,wallaby,pigs and deer. I have been leaving my other larger/higher capacity rifles at home due to what this combo does for me In most of my day to day hunting and varminting as we call it here.

Last edited:
Need opinions on bullets, please.
I'm having a barrel threaded and chambered for 6mm AI - Xcaliber 1:8, heavy varmint, ~26" finished length. Going into a Savage LH long action. The bolt head will be faced, firing pin and spring tuned, and the action timed.
Redding dies are on the way. Already have a Redding bushing FL sizer and Wilson seater.
I will be using this for both a bench gun and varmints.
I have 200 pcs of 6mm Rem brass to start with. (100) pieces of Hornady, (100) pieces of PPU. In my experience in other calibers (7m-08, 6.5x55 Swede AI, 6.5 Grendel, 308 Win, to name a few), PPU brass beats the crap out of Hornady in performance and longevity.

I'm soliciting opinions on the bullets I've picked up (that is, the ones I can find)
  • Berger OTM 105gr (believe I should be able to find two more....). Four boxes @ $40/box
  • Nosler RDF 105gr (seem to be the only bullets left on the shelves). Three boxes @ ~$30/box
  • Sierra 80gr Spitzer, Three old yellow boxes @ $9/box (garage sale).
  • Hornady 100gr Interlock BTSP (can get more), Two boxes @ $22/box
In addition, if you have any recommended loads, please don't hesitate to post or PM them!

Thanks for reading!
Berger 95s and 105 are good.

"PPU brass beats the crap out of Hornady in performance and longevity." OP
That's really good info...!! And I can confirm as I use their 7x57R for my 6.5x57R in mild loads. That stuff lasts forever, LOL!!

Need opinions on bullets, please.
I'm having a barrel threaded and chambered for 6mm AI - Xcaliber 1:8, heavy varmint, ~26" finished length. Going into a Savage LH long action. The bolt head will be faced, firing pin and spring tuned, and the action timed.
Redding dies are on the way. Already have a Redding bushing FL sizer and Wilson seater.
I will be using this for both a bench gun and varmints.
I have 200 pcs of 6mm Rem brass to start with. (100) pieces of Hornady, (100) pieces of PPU. In my experience in other calibers (7m-08, 6.5x55 Swede AI, 6.5 Grendel, 308 Win, to name a few), PPU brass beats the crap out of Hornady in performance and longevity.

I'm soliciting opinions on the bullets I've picked up (that is, the ones I can find)
  • Berger OTM 105gr (believe I should be able to find two more....). Four boxes @ $40/box
  • Nosler RDF 105gr (seem to be the only bullets left on the shelves). Three boxes @ ~$30/box
  • Sierra 80gr Spitzer, Three old yellow boxes @ $9/box (garage sale).
  • Hornady 100gr Interlock BTSP (can get more), Two boxes @ $22/box
In addition, if you have any recommended loads, please don't hesitate to post or PM them!

Thanks for reading!
Berger 105 hybrid is all I buy I have a 8 twist and you can't hardly find a bad load

Berger doesn't curreny make a 6mm 105 OTM.
105..... Hyb? BT target? VLD?

Out of your selections, I vote 105 Berger.
I shoot the 105 Hyb in my 1:7.5" 6CM. Awesome bullet. Works on steel and pronghorn/deer/coyote/javelina extremely well.
Speer makes a 105 flat base ,they work well for me..

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.