Opening up a BDL inlet to M5

GetReel

How easy or hard is it to open up a BDL inlet to M5 inlet? I can't seem to find the right search phrase or Google search to find out. Would love to see a YouTube video to know if I could do it myself or not.

The proper way is to open up the smaller BDL inlet to M5 specs, using an end mill. You may find someone doing it with a Dremel, or similar tool, online, but many stock get butchered that way.

The proper way is to open up the smaller BDL inlet to M5 specs, using an end mill. You may find someone doing it with a Dremel, or similar tool, online, but many stock get butchered that way.
Best done, in the most efficient way, would be on a CNC mill, with proper fixture to hold the stock without causing cosmetic damage, but securely, and proper programing. On a manual vertical mill, it might still take longer than most are willing to pay for.

I've done a few of Manners EH1 stocks on my Haas cnc mini mill. Once the machine is all set up it's not too bad of a job. The issue is the time involved to set up just to do a one off inlet.

20230117_130236(1).jpg20230117_122806.jpg20230117_122744.jpg

For custom installation inletting the Dremel is a tool of the devil.

Use a manual mill and expect to have quite a bit of time invested.

Or have a gunsmith use a proper CNC mill and programming to cut the inlet accurately. I started out using a retrofit (CNC) Bridgeport knee mill for this which was perfect for short runs or individual stocks.

1706025923279.png

1706026838418.png

:)

Last edited:
If you can find a woodworking guy with a CNC router, it can be used too. Buddy of mine used one he had found but he sold the machine and we lost that connection.