One of the original long range guns.

That's a beautiful project.

And if that's you standing on the trailer fender in the first photo, you have really been at this for a long time!
Grandson! Started it at about age 38 I think, now 64.
The little guy on the trailer loves "welding". He turns a mig torch into a sparkler. Hilarious to watch. Loves the garage!

McMillan used to build Sharps clones. I bought this barrel from them in the late 90's. I turned the thread, tapped the action and voila, it fit nicely.
It's 416 SS, 32", 18.25" twist, 45 cal.
At this point, no chambering. Will not be used in BPCR competition.
I could stay with 45-70 government. But I could chamber in something else. Will have to do a lot of research and look for brass availability. Probably 5 candidates to work with. Not sure which way to turn, but I have 500 qty of 45-70 brass. Might be best just to stay here.
Opinions welcome.

Here's the chambering I'm going after. It's a Pedersoli chamber which I will need to get a reamer for. Looks like an excellent answer to shoot PP or Greaser 500 gr slugs from. Just need to verify all the arithmetic for the paper thickness and go from there.
45-70 500......

Attachments

• 45-70_Govt._Pedersoli~DT_Design_45-40-500-PP.Jpg
    45-70_Govt._Pedersoli~DT_Design_45-40-500-PP.Jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 45-70_Govt._Pedersoli~Barrel_45-70_Govt._W-W_Pedersoli_45-500_Rot.Jpg
    45-70_Govt._Pedersoli~Barrel_45-70_Govt._W-W_Pedersoli_45-500_Rot.Jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 45-70_Govt._Pedersoli~Barrel_45-70_Govt._W-W_DT_Design_45-40-570-PP.Jpg
    45-70_Govt._Pedersoli~Barrel_45-70_Govt._W-W_DT_Design_45-40-570-PP.Jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 45-70_Govt._Pedersoli~Barrel.gif
    45-70_Govt._Pedersoli~Barrel.gif
    24.3 KB · Views: 73
Here's the chambering I'm going after. It's a Pedersoli chamber which I will need to get a reamer for. Looks like an excellent answer to shoot PP or Greaser 500 gr slugs from. Just need to verify all the arithmetic for the paper thickness and go from there.
45-70 500......
Bob would you wrap the bullets yourself? I found that interesting. I think I saw that in an old Lyman Manual with I believe onion paper.

Bob would you wrap the bullets yourself? I found that interesting. I think I saw that in an old Lyman Manual with I believe onion paper.
The BPCR guys on sites dedicated to this sport, reference a "rag paper" that is specific thicknesses. Cotton based materials. Wrapping is done by oneself, due to consistency for one's rifle. That promotes accuracy. Think of it as tuning, as much as neck tension, bullet runout, etc... it's truly 150 year old technology that still applies today and shows up in championships still occuring when it works correctly.

The BPCR guys on sites dedicated to this sport, reference a "rag paper" that is specific thicknesses. Cotton based materials. Wrapping is done by oneself, due to consistency for one's rifle. That promotes accuracy. Think of it as tuning, as much as neck tension, bullet runout, etc... it's truly 150 year old technology that still applies today and shows up in championships still occuring when it works correctly.
Very cool, so esoteric. I think I found a reference to "onionskin". But I believe that is cotton based like you said.

I may have misunderstood. Are you debating over to go PP or Greaser?
Both. I will find a bullet mould for the greaser bullets and fireform all the new brass. I have 500 of them, lol! I would also shoot those for fun and let my braver family members to "belly up to the bar" and experience launching freight trains at 1300 fps....
The Paper Patch bullets actually require less cleaning of the barrel, but using a blow tube to soften the chamber fouling. There are newer cleaning techniques such as pushing "pigs" down the barrel, which I will investigate after I get some rounds down it.
Black powder is a filthy mess, but it's glorious at the same time.💥💥💥

Both. I will find a bullet mould for the greaser bullets and fireform all the new brass. I have 500 of them, lol! I would also shoot those for fun and let my braver family members to "belly up to the bar" and experience launching freight trains at 1300 fps....
The Paper Patch bullets actually require less cleaning of the barrel, but using a blow tube to soften the chamber fouling. There are newer cleaning techniques such as pushing "pigs" down the barrel, which I will investigate after I get some rounds down it.
Black powder is a filthy mess, but it's glorious at the same time.💥💥💥
My first big game was taken with handloaded 45-70. 350 gr JHP not 500 gr boowits. But something about those big, heavy, slow moving bullets. Puts them down hard. Our guide said he never saw anything go down so hard after I shot my caribou. Have fun with your new project! I'm excited to see more of it!