One “Do it All Cartridge” - All of NA

My Winchester model 70 Extreme Weather, 30-06, 200 grain Partition ( or Speer or Accubond), 3x Leupold with duplex reticle.

If you want a heavier cartridge, then it gets rebarreled to a 35 Whelen (1-12" twist, 22" stainless, muzzle diameter about 0.70") with 250 grain Partition or Speer .

There was no criteria given for "long range" (X hundred yard) minimum distance so above set up works fine (300-350 yards?). As it has been stated over and over on the internet, "dangerous game" is only dangerous when it is close to you.

Last edited:
My BACO-USA Winchester model 70 Extreme Weather 30-06 with 3x Leupold.

Attachments

• IMG_20200331_132850.jpg
    IMG_20200331_132850.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I have hunted with the 300WM, 338 EDGE, 358 Winchester, 35 Whelen and the 375 RUM. They are all great rounds but in general I see the larger diameter bullet being more desirable and of those the 375 RUM (my most accurate rifle) is the slam down winner with about the same felt recoil as the EDGE. "go BIG or go HOME"

I've used my 260 Rem from Prairie dogs to moose. But if I just had one gun it would be a 7-300 WM w/ 195 grn Berger's.

My Winchester model 70 Extreme Weather, 30-06, 200 grain Partition ( or Speer or Accubond), 3x Leupold with duplex reticle.

If you want a heavier cartridge, then it gets rebarreled to a 35 Whelen (1-12" twist, 22" stainless, muzzle diameter about 0.70") with 250 grain Partition or Speer .

There was no criteria given for "long range" (X hundred yard) minimum distance so above set up works fine (300-350 yards?). As it has been stated over and over on the internet, "dangerous game" is only dangerous when it is close to you.
The 35 Whelen is a fine round. Interesting how the shooting world moves from one great cartridge to the next. Marketing in action.

They wouldn't sell rifles, if they didn't do something a little different. That way we can say I have the best rifle to shoot. Minds is bigger or faster than yours. I have rifle that are for small Varmints, Ones for larger varmints, One rifle for deer and antelope, one or two rifles for Elk and Africa hunting and they will just fine for deer. Having one being built for Varmints any size, deer and antelope out to about 700 yards or so. I have several other rifles that are in between too. So what the deal? One thing is at the range and the other is out in the field. There is three things, I want to be sure of, that my fpe is there to put down the animal, and accurate at that those ranges, and I can hit that animal to make a one shot kill. That to me is the big deal. so there three items that come into play. Rifle that built to shot, and the accuracies of the building the reload, the other equipment to help with placing the shot on the money. So you spend you spend.

They wouldn't sell rifles, if they didn't do something a little different. That way we can say I have the best rifle to shoot. Minds is bigger or faster than yours. I have rifle that are for small Varmints, Ones for larger varmints, One rifle for deer and antelope, one or two rifles for Elk and Africa hunting and they will just fine for deer. Having one being built for Varmints any size, deer and antelope out to about 700 yards or so. I have several other rifles that are in between too. So what the deal? One thing is at the range and the other is out in the field. There is three things, I want to be sure of, that my fpe is there to put down the animal, and accurate at that those ranges, and I can hit that animal to make a one shot kill. That to me is the big deal. so there three items that come into play. Rifle that built to shot, and the accuracies of the building the reload, the other equipment to help with placing the shot on the money. So you spend you spend.
You have it right: different rifles, shotguns and pistols for different purposes.

While your statement is absolutely correct.....you ducked answering the scenario presented! 😁 memtb

Id have to reach for my Lapua (338) because that's how I roll. 285Eldms sound about right. Carbon barrel and stock should get me at or below 11 pounds.
Sierracharlie338 has the right idea. My .338 LM reaches out and when it touches something it leaves a large dent. With muzzle brake the recoil is manageable, accuracy is wonderful and at 11 pounds it works for me. After shooting and hunting for over 70 years I finally found the perfect rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.