? on savage switch barrel , 1st attempt

Coyboy

I'm wondering if I need an actual barrel vise or if I could cushion the jaws of a bench or pipe vise. I stuck a piece of black iron gas pipe in the pipe vise and cusioned it with a slab of dense rubber and it held fairlly tite. I could still turn the pipe with a 14" pipe wrench with about 40 ft lb. Would this hold strong enough or should I just get a Wheeler? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif (new stock and adams and bennet 308 heavy barrel) Any other suggestion for instal would be apreciated.

thanks all Jim

I'm alot of things, but gun smith I aint. I love to cut my own pipe threads when running gas lines, and a regular vice won't work - you need a pipe vice - which deforms the pipe. How much does a gun smith charge for that service? I wouldn't try it myself.

Have you tried to find a barrel vise and action wrench yet? Sharp Shooter Supply , or try Sinclare's online. The information you need is available on the first web site just click on barrels on the left when the page loads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well I tackeled the project this AM, padded the old Reed press style pipe clamp with rubber. removed the old barrel, installed the new barrel cheked the go/nogo gauges. Everything went off with out a hitch. The padding worked perfect no mar marks on the new barrel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The B and C Duramax stock was another mater. The action would only rest on the rear pillar. Took about an hour to remove enough material from front pillar area to get a true drop in. Thats what I get for a hundred bucks.
I added a little glass bedding around the reciever, to keep left to right movment from affecting things. Now all I have to do is wait.
Or I could start making some loads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.