Old Winchester Model 12

Aking

I recently received this shotgun as a gift from my Grandfather. He says the gun is his fathers fathers Shotgun, he thinks it's from around the 1920's. It has a Full Choke and only shoots the 2 9/16 inch shells. As a 16 gauge. I have no intention of selling it but would to like the value of a old gun like this. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_1310.jpg
    IMG_1310.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1307.jpg
    IMG_1307.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1308.jpg
    IMG_1308.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1309.jpg
    IMG_1309.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 64
I'm a Model 12 fan. I have s Sheet 12 from the 60's, a 20ga from the 50's and stamdard 12, much like yours from the 40's. If your bolt is tight, I'd put it at $500. It's a great shotgun. A practiced Model 12 shooter can match, or exceed the cycle rate of an autoloader.

I'm a Model 12 fan. I have s Sheet 12 from the 60's, a 20ga from the 50's and stamdard 12, much like yours from the 40's. If your bolt is tight, I'd put it at $500. It's a great shotgun. A practiced Model 12 shooter can match, or exceed the cycle rate of an autoloader.

Thanks for the input, I really don't have any knowledge with shotguns

Here's a PDF with the year dates of Winchester serial numbers. I'd be interested in knowing what year yours was made, as I don't know how late they were still building the 2 9/16" chamber guns.

Attachments

• Winchester-Manufacture-Dates-by-Year-2012-Scanned-Documents.pdf
    456.4 KB · Views: 81
Just enlarged the pictures on your post. Is there a split in the stock from the reciever through the grip area? If so, this would reduce value, and I'd have it repaired or replaced before shooting it.

I've got model 12 16ga made 1942 also model 12 20ga nickel steel imp cyl choke made 1930 both are in good shape. I also enlarged picture and does show that crack in stock up to the receiver also magazine tube looked repaired about 4/5" from end.

I'm not sure what year they quit making 2 9/16" and they may of had enough to reload for it or at some point may new chamber cut for the 2 3/4" . Might be better off making it a wall hanger

I've got model 12 16ga made 1942 also model 12 20ga nickel steel imp cyl choke made 1930 both are in good shape. I also enlarged picture and does show that crack in stock up to the receiver also magazine tube looked repaired about 4/5" from end.

I'm not sure what year they quit making 2 9/16" and they may of had enough to reload for it or at some point may new chamber cut for the 2 3/4" . Might be better off making it a wall hanger

Given the crack, tube repair, and short chamber, I also think it would be a better wallhanger and remeberence.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.