Old Dog_New at Hunting Varmints on Purpose

savagekindaguy

I had a funny experience last fall out in the fields where I squirrel and coyote hunt. I am new at coyote hunting but have hunted a lot of everything else. Just not coyotes...on purpose.

I have accumulated many types of mouth type calls for hunting various game. I will probably try some electronic calls eventually because I know they work. But for now I will go by my past experience and also advice in the predator hunting columns and stick with the mouth calls, or just do, what is known as, pass shooting.

The coyotes and wolves I have killed were pretty much pass shots. Those are shots of opportunity. I was hunting something else and got the 2 wolves and 2 coyotes on different occasions, of course. I also got a coy-dog as he passed in front of my car at 65 mph (the car doing 65, the dog going about 60) and the car jumped plumb over that rascal. I felt the hard thump but never found the animal, nor any blood. Maybe I needed a silver bullet for him.

Anyway, I was hoping to order an electronic caller with a longer range but an experience in the woods made me laugh and has taught me that even if the sound is low and muffled and cannot be heard by me more than 5 feet away does not mean some wily animal cannot hear it from many yards...as was the case one day. I decided to go with what I have for now.

I had to cross a fence near a cliff like area and found a wire gate tied off from one side of the pasture to the other. I placed all my gear right under the bottom wire of the fence so I could retrieve it after setting one of my small electronic calls down the hill. Where I left my gear would be my ambush point. I set the stuff down and when I went to get one of 2 compact sized electronic calls out of the pack one of them went off and started squealing like a dying rabbit. Annoyed, I reached in and shut it off and grabbed it to take down the hill.

I was very cautious to not make any noise and I concentrated on the log where I wanted to set the call. When that was done I snuck back to my gear and got ready to settle into my ambush site and smack in front of my gear where I would have sat was a brand new steamy pile of fox poop. That critter heard the caller, stole a peek and discovered something other than something good to eat, and left me a steaming thank you note.

That kinda tells me I have to develop eyes on the backside of my head. Lesson learned.

One more day to test the new rifle, scope mount and ring tightness and then...time to hunt.

WOOF!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.