OH NO....

Boyd Heaton

Just found a tick on my dog....First one in 7 years...We have about 10,000 rabbits around my house....And I live in town...Looks like its time to break out the Daisy Red Rider...
mad.gif

Boyd,....sprinkle sevin dust around the yard. It will work on ticks that are there now,..and new ones won't cross it. It helps with all other bugs too.

Just C What is sevin dust??? Is it toxic or do the ticks just dislike it??? I would be interested in this due to large quantity of ticks here in NY-thanks

Many garden insecticides will kill ticks. Get info from your local garden supply store and spray or drop the insecticide, covering as much of your property as posible. It is also the best way to prevent your pet from getting flees that are brought to your property by stray cats or other small mamals.
VH

Permethrin is the best killer of ticks there is. It was developed by the military a number of years ago and could be purchased surplus. Now the big chemical companies have begun to market it. The good thing about it is one application lasts for months and the human body will break it down, unlike other insecticides. I live in the country and our area is heavily infested with several species of ticks and this gets them all. Look for the strongest % of Permethrin you can find. A mixture of 1.5% is sufficient to kill within a couple of minutes after contact wet or dry. In our area, Lowe's carries a product called Carpenter Ant & Termite Killer made by Spectraside. It's a 5.7% liquid emulsion that you mix in a sprayer. Really works!
db
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

You could always treat the dog.
We use Front Line on our Dobermans and Lab.

No fleas, ticks, nothing..sakofan..

I believe you have to get this stuff from a vet.

Just a another thought on spraying the yard:

I live in a fairly dense suburban area. I've got neighbors on 3 sides of me. We all have pets and share the same concerns regarding fleas, ticks, and similar critters.
Together, we decided to spray the yards at the same time so that we could rid the largest area and enjoy the longest period of relief from these pests. One application to all the yards has kept the bugs away for an entire season.
Everyone is happy and I'm sure that we'll do it again next year. It also took care of grubs, ants and other undesirable insects.

VH

Spraying the yard helps with mosquitoes and fire ants here in TX also. Mosquitoes seem to live in the grass and when I spray the yard to scare off the fire ants the mosquites are reduced also.

Soak the yard good and around the foundation for those of us with potential termite problems.

Doug

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.