Odd result...

nikonNUT

Good morning and happy Labor Day all! IF this is in the wrong section I apologize. I think I finally have my load dialed in but I'm getting an odd condition. Loaded up 31 (whipped up a fowler) rounds yesterday and hit the range. I shot a fowler and then a 5 shot group to check accuracy then strapped on the Magnetospeed V3. I was shooting 5 rounds and then cooling the barrel for 7 minutes with a Magnetospeed Rifle Kuhl (the suppressor and the barrel get warm). The part that's throwing me is this. The first shot was always 20 to 30 FPS slower than the rest. Culling those shots resulted in an ES of 8 and a SD of 3.1 (pretty OK in my book) over 24 shots. Not culling? UGH! Not great... So am I over cooling my barrel between strings or is something else going on? The result is crazy consistent and I'm at a loss!

So I did some velocity testing today. Sans suppressor every thing fell into line for the most part. Only a 5 shot string but the results are as follows...
#1 2743 FPS
#2 2737 FPS
#3 2749 FPS
#4 2743 FPS
#5 2749 FPS
SD of 17 and an SD of 6.4 (not great but I think I fell off the node a bit). All in all shot to shot seems a lot more consistent without the can and shoots much softer with the Sidewinder brake anyways. I'm going to re-tweek my load and save the can for the 6.5CM which behaves perfectly normal suppressed I have no explication except that "my" .338LM doesn't like being muzzled! :D

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.